Hello I am new here

Wajeeh Abuabakr

Jul 14, 2023
I have seen a t shirt someone is wearing mentioned United against dementia on the back and Alzheimer society on the front
from there I look for this society on internet and reach here.
My father aged 68 , professionally was a mechanical engineer is an hypertension and diabatic patient from a long term, now facing problems like he cannot understand or follow commands at once doing a lot foolish things, can't undone his cloths or wear them properly, having difficulties in performing daily routine tasks more to it the most difficult is controlling urination and stool.
We did go to behavior studies institute when it has done the damage a lot and he start losing control for above too, well he was having a right inguinal hernia as well ,l first of all on the advice of doctor we did get it treat to let him feel more physically fit , though it was a tough time, it did pass the last three months .. the best thing that happens after operation is that he got a control over his urination and stool we don't know what happened but there was some control maybe due topost operation medications or what we don't know.
The worst thing that make us start thinking again that after some time of peace like 1 month or nearly 2 he has lost his control again back from one week , now we are trying to control by scheduling it
One of the doctro said to us its Vescular dimentia the other said its Alzheimer though some suggest its Parkinson
We have gone through so many test including Brain MRA and MRI , EEG, Carotid US.
Findings are Carotid arteries taking blood to brain one is block 70% and the other is blocked 60%
The Brain MRA and MRI shows shrinkage in frontal lobe
While other all test Including CBC URINE DR HAPATITAS ARE NORMAL
Writing this post to get advised from people having similar problems. Looking forward to get control over dysfunction of bladder and bowl along with complete treatment of dementia.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Wajeeh Abuabakr welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

I’m pleased you saw the T shirt that lead you to the forum.

I’m sorry to read about your father’s problems and hope you can find ways to make the situation more manageable. Many people have had to deal with incontinence so hopefully someone will be along with ideas soon. Scheduling sounds like a good idea (although my dad wouldn’t co-operate very often).

I’m afraid there aren’t many treatments for dementia and it’s mostly about managing the symptoms as well as possible.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum from me too. I’m so sorry to read about your dad’s problems.

You might find some helpful information here -

You might also find this carer’s guide helpful -

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Wajeeh Abuabakr Welcome.

I hope the links provided by @Izzy are of help to you. Sadly once incontinence sets in there is little that can be done to remedy it. It is mainly about managing it.

I hope you are able to get some help for your father. He has many conditions which make care for him complex. Please do not hold back from asking for help. with his care.

There is no complete treatment for dementia as @Bunpoots has advised but there is medication which might help. Please ask your doctors about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheshire daughter