Hello. Feeling helpless

Alanor

Feb 12, 2019
Hi. My husband was diagnosed with early onset 5 years ago. It has given me support reading your posts and understanding I'm not alone trying to cope with this changing and confusing situation. It is 5 years since we had a visit from a psychiatric nurse and O.T. and we were still trying to come to terms with the diagnosis at that time. Since then I have been left trying to understand the changes in his condition without guidance and struggling to let him have some independence but still keep him safe. Thankfully I now have some support from Alzheimer's Scotland and he attends an activity day once a week. Our G.P has referred him back to the community psychiatric team so hopefully I will get more guidance on how to cope with his deterioration and how I can give him the best quality of life for as long as possible. It is such an awful illness and I think it's only those of us trying to do our best 24/7 who really understand the difficulty in coping. Thanks for being there guys.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi. My husband was diagnosed with early onset 5 years ago. It has given me support reading your posts and understanding I'm not alone trying to cope with this changing and confusing situation. It is 5 years since we had a visit from a psychiatric nurse and O.T. and we were still trying to come to terms with the diagnosis at that time. Since then I have been left trying to understand the changes in his condition without guidance and struggling to let him have some independence but still keep him safe. Thankfully I now have some support from Alzheimer's Scotland and he attends an activity day once a week. Our G.P has referred him back to the community psychiatric team so hopefully I will get more guidance on how to cope with his deterioration and how I can give him the best quality of life for as long as possible. It is such an awful illness and I think it's only those of us trying to do our best 24/7 who really understand the difficulty in coping. Thanks for being there guys.
Welcome and good to hear from you. You will find incredible support here. You have done so well for long time. It is hard to cope with deterioration and just when we think we have got something that works, it seems it doesn't! You are certainly not alone. Warmest, Kindred.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Alanor

I found no one came unless I asked and these days it seems help is so thin on the ground asking needs repeating until someone takes notice.

Our best support came from the Community Mental Health Team so I hope life will be a little easier for you from now on.

Don`t forget to ask for help and keep asking.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Alanor, welcome to the forum. I hope you find this a friendly and supportive place.

You will find lots of information, including details on any questions you may have, in the AS Publication list that you can find with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

If you want to look for local support services in your area you can do a post code check by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Otherwise, do take a good look around the site as there is a lot of information and wisdom here. If you have any specific questions just feel free to start your own thread in this sub-forum https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Alzheimers Scotland got us through the first two years with moral support and some excellent groups. My husband was a star at the Football Memories and kept them all laughing. Their singing group and allotment group and walking events were excellent too. Take up every offer of help and friendship you can get. Dont be too brave about it just ask for help.

Best wishes on this journey none of us wants to travel.

Alanor

Feb 12, 2019
Welcome and good to hear from you. You will find incredible support here. You have done so well for long time. It is hard to cope with deterioration and just when we think we have got something that works, it seems it doesn't! You are certainly not alone. Warmest, Kindred.
Thanks kindred. It is a difficult illness to keep up with and we all one to do our best for the person we love. It is a very hard learning curve. Thanks for being there.