Hello everyone my name is Claire and i am looking after my dad who has dementia and lung cancer due to asbestosis

ClaireG221268

Feb 22, 2024
Hi can anyone please give me some advice on how to deal with my situation my dad thinks that I am my mum who passed away 4 years ago, he doesn't remember me at which is heart breaking, He is still in his own home at the moment so I am there every day when I try to leave he gets extremely upset agitated and angry he thinks that I married someone else(my husband of 22 years) how do I deal with this situation any advice would be great

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
Ive had a teady bear for close to 70 years. get him one have him name it and tell him his new companion will always be there with him when you can't be. ya i have alzheimers too

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Ive had a teady bear for close to 70 years. get him one have him name it and tell him his new companion will always be there with him when you can't be. ya i have alzheimers too
That’s a lovely idea @Watson1 . My teddy is the same age as yours.

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
deecee7 i tried to ask my bear how old he really was and all i got was a mumbled something about honey and why had i named him something as stupid as just bear . i said he would understand later. when i hitchhiked across the us when i was 18 i had a little 2in tall"bear" in a little basket with lid that traveled with me. he is retired now living in a large Victorian doll house we have just restarted working on after 40 years . a good alz project i might add......

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hi can anyone please give me some advice on how to deal with my situation my dad thinks that I am my mum who passed away 4 years ago, he doesn't remember me at which is heart breaking, He is still in his own home at the moment so I am there every day when I try to leave he gets extremely upset agitated and angry he thinks that I married someone else(my husband of 22 years) how do I deal with this situation any advice would be great
@ClaireG221268 I am so sorry to read about your dad , this must be so difficult for you. Unfortunately people with dementia can get confused about family relationships which can be so distressing for both parties. It might be useful to contact his GP to see if they could prescribe something to ease his agitation, although this may not help with the confusion.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
A welcome from me too @ClaireG221268. Your dad sounds like he has slipped back in time. My mum did that, so my brother looked too old to be her son so must be her husband (my long dead dad) therefore my son was actually her son.
It may be time to start thinking about a move into care. This is probably something neither you or your dad want, but it would allow you to visit and be his daughter rather than trying to be that and his carer too. He probably doesn't like being alone and in a care home or nursing home there is always someone there 24/7.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
deecee7 i tried to ask my bear how old he really was and all i got was a mumbled something about honey and why had i named him something as stupid as just bear . i said he would understand later. when i hitchhiked across the us when i was 18 i had a little 2in tall"bear" in a little basket with lid that traveled with me. he is retired now living in a large Victorian doll house we have just restarted working on after 40 years . a good alz project i might add......
What a lovely story @Watson1 . I loved my dolls house too, sadly long gone. But teddy has stayed with me. I named my teddy Yellowey, because… he was yellow. Perfect logic for a very small child. He was a he, even though dressed in a homemade gingham dress and had lovely yellow fur, until I cut it off playing hairdressers, not realising that Teddies hair doesn’t automatically re grow. Oops.

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
What a lovely story @Watson1 . I loved my dolls house too, sadly long gone. But teddy has stayed with me. I named my teddy Yellowey, because… he was yellow. Perfect logic for a very small child. He was a he, even though dressed in a homemade gingham dress and had lovely yellow fur, until I cut it off playing hairdressers, not realising that Teddies hair doesn’t automatically re grow. Oops.
deecee7 hello yellowed from mr bear a yellow gingham dress sounds pretty us bears are kind of at the mercy of our care takers when it comes to clothes . my grandma knited a red sweater made red plaid pant and red shoes for mr bear quite dapper

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Tell him you work the night shift at the local, wherever factory, hospital or whatever is plausible.
On principle I'm opposed to lying, but, love lies are an exception.
Tell him you work in a bed testing factory, you get to bed while he tests your patience, so in a way true. K

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
deecee7 hello yellowed from mr bear a yellow gingham dress sounds pretty us bears are kind of at the mercy of our care takers when it comes to clothes . my grandma knited a red sweater made red plaid pant and red shoes for mr bear quite dapper
Hi, our family bears were pinky and bluey. Guess you work out why😂