Hello. Beautiful Beloved Older Husband.

Member83591

Dec 27, 2019
Hello ?

I’m new here.

My darling husband is 20 years old than me. He is 69 next week.

We have been together just under 17 years. I treasure those years but wish we had had more. However, I should be grateful for all the precious time we have had together.

I started realising something was wrong last year. After tests in the autumn/winter, my husband was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment in January this year.

He was supposed to have another brainscan in the spring to check against the baseline scan, but this is currently not possible.

It is so cruel. He was a professional musician but can no longer perform or conduct. He seems to be declining quite rapidly. Perhaps it is partly due to the stress of the lockdown.

I’m finding it tough even though we’re not at a stage where it is unrelentless.

Bit by bit he is already leaving me.

In one way I know that I will be privileged to be the person there for him at the end of his life. But I’m scared of what is to come.

I bought a pressure pad for the bed which sets off an alarm when he gets up in the night, as a couple of times he was confused and was going to wee in the wrong place (kitchen sink/over the loo roll).
I also lock the doors and hide the keys at night so we both know that he can’t leave the house by mistake. This is because one night he tried to leave the house instead of going to the bathroom ?.

With the coronavirus pandemic he has, understandably, become extremely anxious. We have not walked outside of our garden since 20th March, and I have slept in a separate room since 15th March as he is worried about breathing in germs in the night.

We are trying to stay physically apart as this makes him feel safer.
However, I’m sure the lack of human touch is not helping him mentally. It certainly isn’t helping me.

I was made redundant in September from a college where I had worked for the last 16 years. This was an enormous shock to both of us and I was suicidal (long story ... history of depression, GAD and PTSD). Me being suicidal was not helpful for my husband. I think this also worsened his condition. I feel guilty for what he went through because of what I was going through.

I started a new job, part-time, in February and am working from home during the lockdown, but seriously wonder whether I should stop work to spend as much time as possible with him (gardening etc) while he is still ‘there’ in the daytime. I have a contract until August (if I pass the probationary period).

I don’t want to distress my husband by resigning after having been made redundant recently. Also, it would be upsetting for him if I told him the reason I would like to stop work.

If anyone reads this - thank you for having listened.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @HopeForTheJourney
A warm welcome to DTP
of course what you have to say will be listened to, we're here to support each other through thick and thin
You've so much going on with a recent diagnosis, work and just getting through the challenges of everyday living, must feel like you have no chance to just be

Sorry your husband is so anxious about the virus... maybe try to keep away from news, not to ignore it but to give him a chance to be more settled

Keep posting with anything that's on your mind... it helps to share

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My first thought is that you are already both isolated and if you resign from your job this will be total. In the early stages like this there is a desire to do anything which will make it all go away. It won’t. In a calmer less stressful time you might get help finding things to do for both of you but at present most services are closed down.

I would try to continue through this period supporting your husband and still keeping your job going. It may be your salvation in the long run. As the other person worsens it can become a very lonely world and contact with colleagues can sometimes be all you are reduced to.

Come on here and ask for help with specific issues as they arise because there will always be someone who has experience in similar.

Best wishes to you both.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning @HopeForTheJourney and welcome to the forum from me too.

I’m so sorry to read about your situation. It really struck a chord with me as my husband was 21 years older than me and we had been married just over 20 years when he was diagnosed.

My situation was different, of course, as I didn’t have to face dealing with everything within the kind of lockdown situation we are all in just now. Like Marion, my feeling is that it would perhaps be best to try to keep your job going while you can.

I’m glad you have found this forum as there will always be someone here to listen and to support you.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hello ?

I’m new here.

My darling husband is 20 years old than me. He is 69 next week.

We have been together just under 17 years. I treasure those years but wish we had had more. However, I should be grateful for all the precious time we have had together.

I started realising something was wrong last year. After tests in the autumn/winter, my husband was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment in January this year.

He was supposed to have another brainscan in the spring to check against the baseline scan, but this is currently not possible.

It is so cruel. He was a professional musician but can no longer perform or conduct. He seems to be declining quite rapidly. Perhaps it is partly due to the stress of the lockdown.

I’m finding it tough even though we’re not at a stage where it is unrelentless.

Bit by bit he is already leaving me.

In one way I know that I will be privileged to be the person there for him at the end of his life. But I’m scared of what is to come.

I bought a pressure pad for the bed which sets off an alarm when he gets up in the night, as a couple of times he was confused and was going to wee in the wrong place (kitchen sink/over the loo roll).
I also lock the doors and hide the keys at night so we both know that he can’t leave the house by mistake. This is because one night he tried to leave the house instead of going to the bathroom ?.

With the coronavirus pandemic he has, understandably, become extremely anxious. We have not walked outside of our garden since 20th March, and I have slept in a separate room since 15th March as he is worried about breathing in germs in the night.

We are trying to stay physically apart as this makes him feel safer.
However, I’m sure the lack of human touch is not helping him mentally. It certainly isn’t helping me.

I was made redundant in September from a college where I had worked for the last 16 years. This was an enormous shock to both of us and I was suicidal (long story ... history of depression, GAD and PTSD). Me being suicidal was not helpful for my husband. I think this also worsened his condition. I feel guilty for what he went through because of what I was going through.

I started a new job, part-time, in February and am working from home during the lockdown, but seriously wonder whether I should stop work to spend as much time as possible with him (gardening etc) while he is still ‘there’ in the daytime. I have a contract until August (if I pass the probationary period).

I don’t want to distress my husband by resigning after having been made redundant recently. Also, it would be upsetting for him if I told him the reason I would like to stop work.

If anyone reads this - thank you for having listened.
So good to hear from you and welcome to this amazing forum. Your husband sounds a lovely man, and you sound so loving and caring. Is there any way you could work out a schedule that you and your husband would be happy with whereby you could go on working a and also feel you were doing the best for him, too. I do not say this lightly as I was in this position too and downed my hours but managed to keep working a little. It helped me keep my identity which is important to everyone.
Of course you are anxious about this pandemic as he is. And there is not really a way we can bring much humour to it. For me, talking to the folk on here helps so much. We will get though this together and thank you for joining us. Warmest, kindred

Member83591

Dec 27, 2019
Thank you @Shedrech @marionq @Izzy @kindred ❤️

This already feels like a very supportive forum. Thank you listening and for caring. I really value your advice and time ?????

I have suggested not watching the news but I think he reads the news online. It has been a habit of his for several years now to check his emails and the news online first thing. Perhaps I need to just keep gently repeating that it’s less stressful if we don’t read the news. It would be helpful if there was a daily ‘good news’ page. I think there are good news pages but that they are not updated daily.

I hope each of you find at least a moment of peace and beauty ?today.

Thank you

Member83591

Dec 27, 2019
My beautiful husband came to find me at 3:30am. He asked if I had just been to his bedroom and stood at the end of the bed (I’ve been sleeping in a separate bedroom since 15 March at his request to socially distance). He didn’t think he was dreaming at the time. He let me give him a brief cuddle (from behind so we didn’t breath on each other), went to the loo, and went back to bed.
I’m wondering if it was:
1. a dream
2. a visual hallucination
3. hypnagogic hallucination (occurs in transition between been awake & asleep)
4. peduncular hallucinosis as it was not ‘bizarre’ but could easily have been something that had happened and involved a familiar person

I want to contact the memory assessment centre to say that I think his condition is worsening.

But I don’t want to do this without discussing it with him, as he is mostly compos mentis.
At the same time I don’t want to discuss it with him as I don’t want to cause him any more stress.

I think I want to email them to relate the changes I have noticed over the past few weeks.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Genuine question: if your husband is mainly compos mentis, can you get him to understand that you don't need to socially distance from each other in your home?

Especially if you aren't going out. Social distancing is for when or if you go out e.g. for a walk or to get food.

This 'superstition' he is harbouring seems to be driving a lot of stress for both of you. (However, I appreciate people with dementia can hold on to very strange ideas, my father is an expert at this, but I wouldn't describe him as with it most of the time.)

I can understand why you don't want to discuss his worsening condition with him but I think you should talk to the memory clinic. Would be good to rule out a UTI - water infection - as you mention a worsening condition along with weeing in strange places. Perhaps that's not the case but I would be monitoring his fluid intake and asking if he has pain when he pees etc.