Hello and any advice

Welshman1969

Oct 4, 2019
Hi

I have an elderly father and step mother 80 and 84 respectively. Both have dementia, father vascular and step mother alzheimers. They currently live in a council property and I'm hoping they will get moved to sheltered accommodation soon.

I feel that both are deteriorating and they are struggling with each other in different respects. My father is confidence is going and gets very shouty and upset. My step mother is extremely forgetful and very argumentative.

I'm 250 miles away and I'm just wondering if now is the time to see if we can get them some support or atleast make them known to the social care workers as literally they are almost off the radar to anyone, not known to anyone offically, apart from doctors and hospital.

If anyone could please advise of what I can do or how I start wheels, In motion I'd appreciate that.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Welshman1969.

I’m sorry to hear about your parents. It must be hard for you being so far away from them. I do think it’s time to look at support for them. I think an assessment of their needs would be the first step. You can contact their local Social Services and ask for this to happen - emphasising their vulnerability. You might find this link useful -

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Welcome Welshman. I agree with Izzy, Definitely time to look at support for them. Social Services and doctor should be able to help them. They are vulnerable. Good luck.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes looking into how they can be supported in the area they live in will be a benefit to all of you. Two people with dementia , caring for each other is not uncommon but does need a good support system around them.
You say you are hoping that they will move to sheltered housing soon. Just a word of caution that this step may not last for long as one or other of them get to the point where they need 24/7 care. The only reason I mention this as moving home can be very difficult for people with dementia and may exacerbate their conditions.
Also it would be worth you looking to see if you or they have a local carers centre
Usually are carers centre will offer telephone support for a family member living in a different authority especially with things like how to navigate the L.As care system and social care.