Hello 😊 I’m Sue

Sue.T.

Mar 27, 2024
Hi my Dad who is 77 has just been diagnosed with mixed dementia. Luckily we have an amazing family and support net work.
I guess deep down we have known for well over a year that Dad was suffering from Alzheimers or dementia. I never knew he could be suffering from both 😱
I know we’re just at the beginning of this journey and I can only imagine how my Dad must be feeling. I just want to protect him and let him know he will never be on his own and we will do everything in our power to keep him safe and happy.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Sue.T. and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your dad and pleased that he has support from you and other family members. Our helpful and friendly community can help to support you whenever you have questions or issues, if you want to share with people who truly understand, or just need to let off steam.

Angelsoul

May 22, 2023
Hi Sue,
Glad to hear you have an amazing family and a good support net work.
Just wanting to protect your dad and keep him safe and sound was and is my main goal
with my mum. I totally understand. You will face changes....but with good support you will learn to deal with them. Xxxxx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome Sue.
Dementia is the overall description for a number of conditions of which Alzheimer's is one, there are a number of other condition which can cause dementia.
Many people on here post about caring for them.
Having a diagnosis of AZ or any other of the conditions doesn't mean you have dementia until it becomes an issue as in you can no longer function normally (for want of a better word) in society.
I hope that makes sense, dementia is an umbrella for a number different medical conditions and physical ones too like an acquired brain injury. K

Sue.T.

Mar 27, 2024
Hi @Sue.T. and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your dad and pleased that he has support from you and other family members. Our helpful and friendly community can help to support you whenever you have questions or issues, if you want to share with people who truly understand, or just need to let off steam.
Thank you 😊

Sue.T.

Mar 27, 2024
HI @Sue T. Welcome. This forum is a wealth of information and encouragement.

Hello and welcome Sue.
Dementia is the overall description for a number of conditions of which Alzheimer's is one, there are a number of other condition which can cause dementia.
Many people on here post about caring for them.
Having a diagnosis of AZ or any other of the conditions doesn't mean you have dementia until it becomes an issue as in you can no longer function normally (for want of a better word) in society.
I hope that makes sense, dementia is an umbrella for a number different medical conditions and physical ones too like an acquired brain injury. K
Thank you 😊

Sue.T.

Mar 27, 2024
Hi Sue,
Glad to hear you have an amazing family and a good support net work.
Just wanting to protect your dad and keep him safe and sound was and is my main goal
with my mum. I totally understand. You will face changes....but with good support you will learn to deal with them. Xxxxx
Thank you 😊