Groundhog day!

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Here's the conversation I hear every day at least 40 times a day.

"I except I'll be stuck in here for the rest of my life. I'm so lonely". (She doesn't see anyone but me and the carers).
I reply either:
a) Yes Mum you will. or
b) Well you've been offered transport to carry you down the stairs and go to the Day Centre, but you refuse to go. You'd really enjoy it Mum but you won't go. How do you know you won't like it unless you try it? You could go to a lovely hotel (respite) be waited on, talk to other people, have a nice cup of tea in their garden, but you refuse to go. I wanted to move you to a ground floor flat but you refuse to move, so what do you want me to do then Mum to make you life better? or
c) Don't answer her at all.

If I say a) she gets nasty.
If I say b) she won't answer me at all (or start crying)
If I do c) she'll go absolutely hysterical like tonight, and start ripping her clothes. She's torn her dress to shreds tonight.

I get this every single day, and I have no answers, apart from the fact its now driving me totally nuts! Thank God I'm going away for five wonderful days next week. I can't wait. Bet the time goes really quickly and then its back to groundhog day again. SW should be coming this week, I've already rehearsed what I'll be saying to him/her.
Sue

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
SW should be coming this week, I've already rehearsed what I'll be saying to him/her.

...and it'll be along the lines of "I'm going away next week and when I get back I'm starting a new job (moving away, running off with my lover, emigrating, going bungee jumping in New Zealand or joining a New Age commune) and won't be available to care for my Mum any more so you'll have to take a more active role."

It will be along those lines, won't it Sue?:D