Grandads memory loss

Kirstyb@30

Nov 10, 2020
Hi all

so my grandad is 76 and is an alcoholic. The last year he’s memory has got extremely worse. He asks my nan what day it is everyday. He then asks her “what do I do once I wake up” she explains that he washes gets dressed. He asks the same questions over and over again . He had a fall in July and was taken to hospital before he could leave they had to do a memory test on him which hepassed. Could this be dementia or just the alcohol. I am heartbroken for him and my nan . I also would like to add he sleeps all day long on and of x

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Kirstyb@30, the memory test most clinicians do (both in General Practice and Hospital) is very basic - score out of 33 if I remember rightly. The memory clinic assessment is more detailed and covers understanding as well of memory. It is scored out of 100.
There are many other conditions that can give symptoms similar to dementia and memory clinics expect a GP to have tested for and excluded these. Be prepared for heart monitor (ECG) and blood tests for things such as anaemia, diabetes and thyroid problems.
Sometimes people who are aware they have a problem but are frightened to go can be encouraged to see the GP by knowing that there are other possible causes for poor memory which can be treated.
Maybe you could go with your grandad to a GP appointment, or help your gran to write a letter to the GP with all the families concerns.
Alcohol in itself can cause a form of dementia, or it could be another type of dementia or any of the other problems I mentioned. Please encourage him to see his GP who can set the ball rolling..