GP failing not "working towards being dementia friendly"

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
My mum and I go to the same GPs surgery - have done since I was a baby 35 years ago - and they proudly display the "working towards being dementia friendly" sign in reception. But what does this mean?

The way they are behaving I think they are failing and want to help them improve. But how can I? Is the practice manager the best person to speak to?

What can I do to improve the following issues we are having:
• warfarin not available on repeat prescription and mum can easily forget she's running low - she has a dosing box which I try to manage but if I'm on holiday she would fill it herself
• I can't access the web-based appointment/prescription service for my mum from my account - a parent can access a child's under 16 but no-one else can have this dual person function
• doctors and nurses repeatedly failing to see mums dementia diagnosis on her records and expecting her to know why she's there for test etc - if it's a GPs appointment I will go with her, but she goes for blood tests without me as I assume the phlebotomist/nurse will see in the notes why the GP has requested the tests (she went today but got confused as to why she needed blood tests and the phlebotomist refused to take blood making it was a waste of everyone's time)

I work full-time as well as being a brownie/rainbow leader, and am trying to sell my flat and planning my wedding... Teaching the surgery team how to do their job is another job I could do without.

Rachael

"I'm thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn't have stumbled across my strength" - Alex Elle

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I would speak to the Practice manager in your position, Rachael.

Our surgery already had me registered as OH's carer before she had dementia as I was already driving her there appointments anyway. She needed regular diabetes blood tests among other things.

You should be able to access repeat prescriptions from your email address, registering as carer would make that easier I suppose although we never used it beforehand. We have had problems with online appointments too, I think that is a wider NHS software problem.
Hope that helps. All the best.

Last edited:

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
I note it's "working towards dementia friendly", not "demential friendly". I agree a conversation with the practice manager is the first stop - tell him/her you're trying to help them get rid of the working towards bit.

I signed up as Mum for ordering repeat prescriptions online. My mother's surgery gave her a form to sign when she joined which allows the doctors to discuss her case with me and to make appointments etc for her.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I would imagine that sign men's about as much as the sign we had everywhere where I used to work: 'Investor in People'.
It looked good, all worthy and cuddly, but in practice meant absolutely nothing.

I would be inclined to ask your practice manager what they are actually doing, other than putting worthy signs up.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I agree Rachael, you have enough on your plate without having to do the surgery's job for them but I guess they are on a steep learning curve too so its good to get in touch with them about the things you raise, the practice manager is the obvious person but its worth copying letter to GP and nurse as well just in case PM doesn't communicate it effectively as change seems to be very slow.

I think it would also be quite useful if as a matter of course they did a routine urine test for sufferers at GP appointments to pick up infections early before the exacerbated symptoms, such infections can cause. get totally out of hand causing distress for sufferer and carer's alike.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
The last practise manager at our surgery was a waste of (quite a large) space, but see yours and suggest a few things they could do to improve.
I always went to OHs appts, but it was easier for me. I was down as carer and never had a problem. I also ordered medications online - and I sorted it myself, though I had to produce some of his documents to do so. But he wasn't involved at all.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I simply logged as Mum for her scripts until they went onto automatic renewal to the pharmacy. The system didn't know who logged in as long as the correct username and password was given. I did make a point of having me listed as carer, even before Mum signed her LPA.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Rachael. Have you got LPA for health and welfare . If so , hand in a photocopy to the surgery and register as your mum's carer. I also think it might help your practice to 'help with achieving a good dementia standard ' by highlighting on case records the patient has dementia by using a common sign . One sign I know that gets used is a butterfly . This could be in the form of a sticker on the records and would hopefully highlight to anyone accessing your mums records that consideration should be given to your mums condition , when she is attending appointments etc. As for the warfarin on repeat prescription , not many practices will do this due to the coagulation checks that need to be done to ensure the correct dosage is in keeping with the results . I know it may be a nuisance but it will be for safety reasons . I hope the practice manager listens to your very valid concerns . Best wishes to you and your mum . Lou

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Warfarin cannot be put on repeat prescriptions as the dose can vary from blood test to blood test.

I was going to say this. My MIL is a long time wafarin user, and while we are in a different country so thing might be different, I can't see how a wafarin script could be on repeat because of all the blood testing issues.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I was going to say this. My MIL is a long time wafarin user, and while we are in a different country so thing might be different, I can't see how a wafarin script could be on repeat because of all the blood testing issues.

Dad had to go for fortnightly bloods & his dose changed each time.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
OH has been on warfarin for years. We have a supply of different dosage tablets on hand with repeat prescriptions for each. He is tested frequently for his INR and we adjust his medication as required. And I can phone up ask for a repeat prescription as needed.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
OH has been on warfarin for years. We have a supply of different dosage tablets on hand with repeat prescriptions for each. He is tested frequently for his INR and we adjust his medication as required. And I can phone up ask for a repeat prescription as needed.

That's the way our surgery and the testing dept at the Hospital works too. Though, it could be different if the Rachael's mum lives alone and has dementia.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
That's absolutely right nae sporran . In that case, our prescriptions can be stored at our local pharmacy and they will set up the doses but it just seems more efficient than having to get a new script every time.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
There's a whole bunch of things that are not permitted on repeat prescription including Fortisip......

I guess that's to make sure monitoring is constant.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby is on Warfarin and as the others have said, this means it is not included in dosett box as dosage changes according with INR reading. There are some other pills/tablets which cannot be included in box and have to be kept separate.