GP-COG test

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
Mums familiar GP of two years said she didn't think mum had dementia as such, rather old age / frailty because her mind and communication is always active when she sees her, but she left last week, so now a far less familiar GP is setting up this GP cog test, what is it for may I ask?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Our GP didn't give my husband this test, it was the consultant psychiatrist who did so.
The GP gave my husband a questionnaire to complete to ascertain he wasn't suffering from depression which can sometimes show up similar symptoms.
He also sent the community psychiatric nurse to see him at home for the same reason. We never saw her again though.
The GP referred my husband to the consultant psychiatrist who came to see him in our home.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
Our GP didn't give my husband this test, it was the consultant psychiatrist who did so.
The GP gave my husband a questionnaire to complete to ascertain he wasn't suffering from depression which can sometimes show up similar symptoms.
He also sent the community psychiatric nurse to see him at home for the same reason. We never saw her again though.
The GP referred my husband to the consultant psychiatrist who came to see him in our home.

thankyou saffie, hope your husband is ok at this point in time.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
I've taken a look at the link thankyou, mum didn't score well on it, except the clock and hands, we know she has dementia, but I'd like to know if it's cognitive frailty or one of the dementias proper: alz, vascular, fronto temporal, (mild cog impairment can turn into dementia too) her usual and favourite GP said it seemed the former and to look at it later, but she left last week so we saw ales familiar GP who ordered this GP cog test. I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong.