Government dementia research funding falls

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Sad news, I agree. But so is the recession and my gut reaction is it’s lucky it’s *only* fallen 7% ... when you look all around at the cuts in government services ... as just one example, new build schools promised for 2010 intakes scattered round here like abandoned building sites ..... we will forever have ‘which call on public money takes precedence’ ...

I was interested in this statistic: In 2007-08 the figure was £32.2 million, less than 3% of the medical research budget. Do we have to accept the budget but champion the fight for more than a 3% share in it? Then again ... who is to say the other 97% is not at least as or more deserving .....? We naturally all come here with one prime concern but believe we have to balance that with a more general perspective at times.

Difficult questions ...and if I had the answers I would be in Downing Street!:rolleyes:

Karen, x

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Similar thought processes – but also different! My gut reaction was to wonder not just about the “only” 7%, but the why and how.

I found this article, also from the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-pledge-slashing-medical-research-costs.html and I wasn’t too uplifted by it. Then, I read re. the free personal care at home bill “Mr Burnham said he planned to pay for the measures by diverting £60million from his department's R&D budget and £50million from public health promotions.

Cutting spending on management consultants would provide £60million, while further funds would come from a productivity drive intended to secure £20billion in efficiency savings across the NHS over the next four years.”

And finally, so as to keep this post as short as possible: http://www.labnews.co.uk/news_archi...rch-budget-as-europe-pushes-for-greater-spend

“UK cuts research budget as Europe pushes for greater spend” – recession there too.

“The reduction is due to the HM Treasury’s decision to retain the MRC’s commercial fund – the money resulting from the exploitation of the council’s intellectual property.”

“The MRC has a strong record, through its commercial arm of exploiting the intellectual property created by the scientists who work in our units and institutes. The results have helped hundreds of thousands of people around the world: Monoclonal antibodies for example now make up a third of all new drug treatments for a variety of major diseases.” I just happen to be a strong follower of ‘monoclonal antibody’ research and development – so long may it continue to thrive. Alongside other worthwhile causes. My guts say that we cut research funding at our peril - recession or no recession.

Downing Street's all yours! Too corrupt for my liking.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
JPG1, I think you have a huge amount to offer, but I also think you're on the wrong forum, quite frankly, with some of your 'outspokenness'. Politics come into all this, of course, but it is not a politic forum .... (I had my own thread some years back to keep the 'politics' distinct .......) but then I didn't have the 'fervour' you show .... just amateur 'common sense' ......

Please make your voice and intellect heard where it may make a difference. I wish you luck in it. It is what we all strive for here in our different ways.

Karen

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Ouch!

Ouch! Thanks for that.

I posted in the "Raising awareness and campaigning" section of TP, and never mentioned politics. I don't think that I was outspoken, in any way. At least I was not attempting to outspeak.

This section of the forum is available for anyone on earth to read, regardless of whether they are connected in any way with dementia. Regardless of whether they care about dementia or not, as I know that you and I both do. We care and continue to care.

My concern was the research-funding, wherever that funding comes from. And much funding comes via charities, I know.

I am already doing as you require of me: making my own difference to the world of dementia care. Regardless.

Anything else you require of me? Speak out and I will consider.

Thanks, for caring.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Downing Street's all yours! Too corrupt for my liking.

Cut out the silly quips and leave them for the political reporters or 'wannabees' ..... or anyone who can back up their accusations of corruption - and what the hell this has to do with dementia????

I am sorry I responded to this thread :eek: - as far as I am concerned it is 'locked'. :(

K