Good Morning

Molly 2003

Nov 9, 2023
Good Morning,

My Nan has lived with this disease for the past five years and is now on palliative care. She is nearing the end of her life.

No matter how much I convince myself that we, as a family, have done all we can for her, it's niggling in my mind that I personally could have cured this disease.

Have any of you felt this way before and are cross with yourselves, over something you can't control?

Mike Doncaster

Dec 16, 2022
Good Morning,

My Nan has lived with this disease for the past five years and is now on palliative care. She is nearing the end of her life.

No matter how much I convince myself that we, as a family, have done all we can for her, it's niggling in my mind that I personally could have cured this disease.

Have any of you felt this way before and are cross with yourselves, over something you can't control?
Don't beat yourself up there is no cure. Being a carer is hell no matter how much you may love the person you are caring for.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
it's niggling in my mind that I personally could have cured this disease.
Good morning @Molly 2003 and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am sorry to read that your Nan is on palliative care.
I have to say I cannot work how how you say that you think you could have cured this disease. There is no cure, just drugs that may slow down the progression. But, there is a considerable amount of research going on.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Molly 2003 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your Nan and how this has made you feel. I am sorry to say that guilt, misgivings and what-if's are common amongst people who care for a loved one with dementia. They are natural but ultimately rather pointless. I am sure that you know this. Dementia can't be cured or stopped in its tracks. All we can do is make the best of it for the person and ourselves. That is what you and your family have done.

The members of this forum will understand and empathise with how you feel. Please feel free to come back here whenever you need our support.