Glad To Meet Others & learn from them

mightyaphrodite

Dec 18, 2023
I still work during the day & care for my husband at night. He has been suffering from Dementia for 6 years.

The one thing I share with friends? I do not correct my husband’s statements or illusions. When he asks if we are going to drive over to his mom’s house, I tell him, “maybe tomorrow… “ When he got angry about my bathing & shaving routine & told me, “You don’t do a very good job, I think I’m going to fire you,” I said, “I understand.” He forgets what he said in 10 minutes so correcting him would frustrate him … who benefits from THAT? Certainly not my dear husband.

I looked this forum up because of the constant gibberish & noises he has started making in the last month. I appreciate others insight & thank you!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @mightyaphrodite.

I’m sorry to read about your husband’s dementia. I’m glad you’ve found this forum and I’m sure others will be along soon to share their experiences.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi, I don't know if its any help but an Admiral Nurse said to me about my husband. The 2 of you are on opposite sides of a bridge. He can't move towards you because your world no longer makes any sense to him, You have to move towards his reality and try and communicate within that. At the time it made me cry buckets but I have applied it and it does help. I deflect rather than correct. My husband is in a Dementia home and is totally delusional but sounds oh so convincing. You will get a lot of help on here and its such a relief to be able to offload

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@maisiecat - that sounds like such a good explanation you got from the Admiral Nurse. It makes sense.

@mamma Mel you might find their helpline useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello and welcome from me also. You might also find the attached link useful, although from your first post you do seem to be following its advice.

mamma Mel

Dec 19, 2023
Hi, I don't know if its any help but an Admiral Nurse said to me about my husband. The 2 of you are on opposite sides of a bridge. He can't move towards you because your world no longer makes any sense to him, You have to move towards his reality and try and communicate within that. At the time it made me cry buckets but I have applied it and it does help. I deflect rather than correct. My husband is in a Dementia home and is totally delusional but sounds oh so convincing. You will get a lot of help on here and its such a relief to be able to offload
Hi thanks so much for input it really helps and I really appreciate it. Xx

mightyaphrodite

Dec 18, 2023
Hi, I don't know if it’s any help but an Admiral Nurse said to me about my husband. The 2 of you are on opposite sides of a bridge. He can't move towards you because your world no longer makes any sense to him, You have to move towards his reality and try and communicate within that. At the time it made me cry buckets but I have applied it and it does help. I deflect rather than correct. My husband is in a Dementia home and is totally delusional but sounds oh so convincing. You will get a lot of help on here and its such a relief to be able to offload
GREAT analogy! Thank you!!