Getting up !

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
Hi,
is anyone else having difficulties getting their loved ones up these dark mornings ?
I'm fairly sure Mum hasn't got a UTI ( the "beauty" of getting her to use commode first thing is I can see colour & smell - oh what skills we acquire :D)
It's now taking a good half an hour of prompting and cajoling with a cup of tea as bribery but she seems to be really struggling to move even when she's wet through ( and pants are always sopping even if the bed isn't -Thank the stars for T*** !)
Is this another form of sun downing or is just a Winter thing ? Mums Vascular Dementia really came to the fore in January after some major dental surgery so tho we have been thru one Winter everything was so different that I wouldn't have known what was the dark or just the dementia and to be honest I was so distraught with the whole thing that I wasn't taking everything in.
What do you think ? Mum has also pretty much stopped coming downstairs tho I think this may be a toilet issue as the only loo is upstairs and the combination of severe arthritis and the dementia ( mum is 86) means she can't move fast ( tho it's amazing how quickly she can scoot along with the Zimmer frame when I don't want her to :D)

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi there, I must admit mum is much more likely to sleep in late in the winter, she was always an early riser but these days she just complains she's tired. We don't face your continence issues though. Could you put another commode somewhere downstairs for your mum, she obviously feels 'safer' having one close by?

Good luck x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
We've had a full week now of mum feeling tired, especially around 3pm and it has been hard for me to keep her from jumping into bed. So we get to 9pm and then its to bed and seems to sleep through to 5.30. Really unusual this, so maybe it is the early dark nights, although light usually makes no difference to mum, its dark when she wakes up at 5 and she always opens the curtains.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH has been going to bed early, often around 15:00, BUT he sleeps all night until at least 07:00, which is weekday get up time. He would like longer!