Games to play at Christmas

ella96

Dec 8, 2016
Hi all.
My grandma has fronto-temporal dementia, I'd say in the mid to late stages.

We like to play simple games together, especially the ones we use to play when I was a child.
With a lot of help she can play a card game called happy families and she really enjoys draughts.

I'm looking for games that we could play as a family at Christmas. This only her second Christmas in care, and my grandad is finding it incredibly difficult to think about Christmas without her, so it'll be good to have something enjoyable to do when we visit her on the day.

I've seen a few games in wilkinsons in the kids section. Does anybody have suggestions for games that have worked well with their loved ones?

Thank you :)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I don't know how successful it will be but I'm going to try a 'pass the parcel'game this year (hubby will need some help but I think he'll enjoy it).

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My children very successfully play connect 4 with my mum - she was very good at maths and this sort of logic - and she still can beat the children (age 11 and 15)

For some reason my mum no longer understands any playing cards except for the hearts/clubs/spades/diamonds type. The children tried to play snap with her a few years ago and she couldn't understand the unfamiliar pictures on their cards and wouldn't play.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
We have a communal jigsaw on the go

we have one that is a map of UK which is quite good and has pictures of places he has visited.

There is a company advertising in the newspapers regarding town centre map jigsaws.

Last year number one son got a jigsaw made of family photos. I believe you can get these in an extra easy format.