Fund care homes for people with Alzheimer's or dementia irrespective of finances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
What governments are not owning up about is that the property price explosion of the last 60 to 70 years is what enables the Care Homes to suck up money from some of their residents to pay for the care.

This 'price explosion' cant be repeated for any future residents and therefore the current system will collapse.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Strongly in @Lawsons camp in this. ANd i Quote:

"If you drain the money pot, then the standard of care has to drop because there will simply be not enough money to go around. That’s why those who can afford to pay should. The money is for their benefit, not for the beneficiaries of the will."

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023

"If you drain the money pot, then the standard of care has to drop because there will simply be not enough money to go around. That’s why those who can afford to pay should. The money is for their benefit, not for the beneficiaries of the will."
Would you agree then that parents should pay for child care.? They have children by choice . Illness is not a choice. In the UK we treat the sick at the point of need . We all pay so it's there when we need it. Why is dementia illness different? It's not a choice for heavens sake! If your illness prevents you from seeing to toilet needs ,washing ,dressing etc then it should be a health problem
It should be free at the point of need like all health care is in the UK.

The thread is asking UK citizens to support a petition to the UK government. If you agree please sign ,if you don't agree then don't. We are getting away from the purpose of this thread

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023

The Inheritance Tax rules seem to contradict your statement...
1714729900233.png

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
The thread is asking UK citizens to support a petition to the UK government. If you agree please sign ,if you don't agree then don't. We are getting away from the purpose of this thread

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Free care for all who need it is too expensive especially with an aging population, especially when private care homes (the vast majority are private) are making profits. Younger people generally can’t afford to buy their own homes and can’t be paying for this. I’m 60, so I’m not young.
Care homes should be run by charity or LAs and all residents pay for their living costs. That is food, accommodation and energy costs which they would have to pay if living at home. Costs for care should be paid up to a set limit so that they have more money left than current c£23k.
i think this is similar to previous Dilnot report recommendations which have been put on the back burner by successive governments.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Free care for all who need it is too expensive especially with an aging population, especially when private care homes (the vast majority are private) are making profits. Younger people generally can’t afford to buy their own homes and can’t be paying for this. I’m 60, so I’m not young.
Care homes should be run by charity or LAs and all residents pay for their living costs. That is food, accommodation and energy costs which they would have to pay if living at home. Costs for care should be paid up to a set limit so that they have more money left than current c£23k.
i think this is similar to previous Dilnot report recommendations which have been put on the back burner by successive governments.
Don't sign the petition then .

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
The limit is upper limit 50K with no lower limit in Wales.

There is free Personal and Nursing Care in Scotland

The petiton relates to a debate that has already been had by members of parliament and they decided that to put Social Care change on the back burner.

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
I think the phrasing of this petition should be more specific. It seems to suggest that everyone with dementia should have their care fully funded.

My mum has had Alzheimer's for almost 20 years. Should she have been fully funded for all of this time? No, of course not. As a family, we managed quite well until about 4 years ago, and then for about 18 months we didn't manage very well at all, which is when mum had to go into a care home. From that point onwards, mum's condition deteriorated massively. She was assessed for CHC and deemed to be ineligible. We took the decision to Local Resolution with the ICB and they agreed that they had got it wrong. Mum is now fully funded and this has been backdated to December '22.

I don't have all the answers, but I think that the CHC assessment process needs to be overhauled for a start. ICB's tend to refuse funding by default, possibly in the knowledge and/or assumption that the majority will accept their decision.

It's good that this petition is raising awareness of a very unfair system and I hope that it will make some people who are in a position of influence to sit up and think. It's worth a try.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
I certainly won’t but wound, if a more realistic petition was proposed.
A different government approach certainly needs to be taken. We can’t carry on putting our head in the sand and long term the current system is unsustainable, particularly as home ownership declines over the next few decades.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We are / have paid for the service we are using! Still pay tax ,pay more than govt funded for bed so subsidising others ,tax on the savings from house sale money. . All take from the vulnerable and sick. Society is judged by how they treat the vulnerable. As you say ,you don't live in the UK !

Please sign if you agree
I do understand because we have similar problems to UK.

Food charities unable to keep up with the increasing demand, aged care in a mess, health care in collapse. homelessness a growing problem, social services incompetent and a string of other things are ongoing problems.

Our health system has never been entirely free, unless you meet certain criteria. Every time I see my ophthalmologist, I have to pay and I have to pay for certain tests that are required for my glaucoma. Many people have to pay a service fee to see a GP unless you are on benefits of a certain type. I paid to have my cataracts done because I needed to get them done early and couldn’t go on the waiting list.

House rents are extortionate and public housing has been neglected for years. Many people are experiencing mortgage stress and struggle to put food on the table.

I could go on and on but nothing is easy here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.