FTD

Burnley 1

May 24, 2022
My husband has a diagnosis of FTD he is 64 and had a stroke (lacunar infarcts) 11 years ago. In the past three years he has changed dramatically. His personality is different he has no care or love towards me. He is cold, lethargic and shows no empathy. He is not able to sort finances or money. He is repetitive, he is childlike, self absorbed. He’s never been a drinker but now has a different attitude to drink.
I feel very low, alone and lost

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the Forum @Burnley 1.

I’m so sorry to read of your situation. It’s really heartbreaking. I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You will get lots of help and understanding here.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Welcome from me too @Burnley 1 .
its really hard and sometimes soul destroying watch someone advance with dementia. I’m sure you will find help, support and understanding from the members. Please keep posting.

fromnz123

Aug 2, 2019
UK
My husband has a diagnosis of FTD he is 64 and had a stroke (lacunar infarcts) 11 years ago. In the past three years he has changed dramatically. His personality is different he has no care or love towards me. He is cold, lethargic and shows no empathy. He is not able to sort finances or money. He is repetitive, he is childlike, self absorbed. He’s never been a drinker but now has a different attitude to drink.
I feel very low, alone and lost
Hi @Burnley 1 , I am in almost exactly the same situation as you, my husband is 68, and was diagnosed with Behavioral Variant FTD, my husband sits watches tv all day and starts to drink wine anytime after 12 pm… he was never a drinker but now that’s what he lives for..
“living with a child” is exactly how I would describe it…when he can’t get his own way he has a tantrum…..

I have also over the years felt, low, alone and lost, when I couldn’t understand what was happening to us. Following his diagnosis and talking to others I am “grateful “ for his apathy, as he is happy at home in front of the tv, which enables me to see family, friends and go out ….

My mother lived with us with vascular dementia for 6 years until the day she died , , but having a husband with FTD is a different level of anguish!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Burnley 1
a warm welcome from me too

sorry to hear of the changes in your husband ... sadly one symptom of dementia can be the losing of empathy so the person only sees life from their own point of view and that's tough on relationships

I wonder whether you might help the drinking by quietly swapping whatever your husband drinks fro low or non-alcohol versions, even decanting into bottles/cans he recognises ... my dad enjoyed wine but eventually didn't tell the difference when I gave him grape juice

this site might give you useful info

now you've joined us here, do keep posting with anything that's on your mind ... members understand and will offer support and suggestions to help, so hopefully you will feel less isolated

Spannertail

Oct 6, 2022
Welcome to the Forum @Burnley 1.

I’m so sorry to read of your situation. It’s really heartbreaking. I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You will get lots of help and understanding here.
Hi @Burnley 1 are you actually from Burnley? My dad has had ftd for the last 5 years diagnosed with the behavioural variant at 65yrs. We live in Oswaldtwistle

Regards

Nat