Frustrated 😞

emmi

Nov 30, 2023
I have posted some time ago about my husband buying stuff then throwing it away, tried to get control of that but now his spending is out of control, he manages to go out on his own but is going out every day now and buying stuff he doesn't need, we don't have an endless pot of money, hey buys records, socks, shoes, spends about £60 a week on coffee/cake, today has spent another £70, told him I am going to take his card off him but while he can go out don't want to stop him,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @emmi I hope you find the Dementia Support Forum helpful and informative

I understand you wanting to curb your husbands spending but not affecting his independence. It`s really tough.
Is there any way you can get the bank to put a daily limit on his card? It`s the first thing I’d ask about

emmi

Nov 30, 2023
Welcome @emmi I hope you find the Dementia Support Forum helpful and informative

I understand you wanting to curb your husbands spending but not affecting his independence. It`s really tough.
Is there any way you can get the bank to put a daily limit on his card? It`s the first thing I’d ask about
I wouldn't want him to be in a position where his card was declined, took his card off him yesterday but relented today when he said was going out, have warned him if he comes back with stuff that will be it and he will be on spending money, I added everything up from beginning of January and it came to almost £500 , I can't spend money like that, I gave up work last October and I was always doing and buying what I want but can't do it now, gonna have to get tough coz he will not listen 😒

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i would set a limit too. if he is spending money that you cant afford then maybe it would be better to set a limit and his card to be declined.

emmi

Nov 30, 2023
Right , I took his card but gave it back yesterday, he just had coffee and cake and £10 bet on his horse racing, don't mind that but only maybe at weekend, gone to town today, have said that starting tomorrow we both gonna have spending money and if we spend it have to wait a week before we have it again, am thinking £50 each ?? see how that works out, have had to take money from saving this week, that money is for emergencies, dont want to do that every month 🙄

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
This must be so concerning for you @emmi I am wondering if the Sibstar card would help limit your husbands spending. This card was developed in conjunction with the Alzheimer's Society. I have attached a link below for your consideration.