Follow up apppintment at memory clinic

catherinewa

Mar 7, 2023
My dad had an initial appointment and was expecting another one for an mri scan within a couple of months
The follow up appointment has just come through for August but no mention of any scan.

Is this normal?

If there is no scan, what would a follow up appointment be for?

My mum is itching for him to drive again after this appointment but so far we have not found out the reasons for 2 funny turns, one of which wrote the car off.
The GP is focussing on his cholesterol but says there could be a thyroid issue but she is not investigating this yet.
My mum is v anxious and demanding of him.

I have noticed a fair few memory issues and excessive anxiety and my brother gets this too (he told the memory clinic and GP our concerns as he lives near them)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @catherinewa

The appointment does not necessarily need to mention the scan if this is what you’re expecting the follow up appointment to be for.

Your mum might be advised not to put pressure on your dad to drive if he’s had ‘funny turns ‘ severe anxiety and a serious accident. ’ It`s enough he may have dementia.

I hope the appointment is for a scan and your dad can find out what is wrong.

catherinewa

Mar 7, 2023
Hello @catherinewa

The appointment does not necessarily need to mention the scan if this is what you’re expecting the follow up appointment to be for.

Your mum might be advised not to put pressure on your dad to drive if he’s had ‘funny turns ‘ severe anxiety and a serious accident. ’ It`s enough he may have dementia.

I hope the appointment is for a scan and your dad can find out what is wrong.

My dad had an initial appointment and was expecting another one for an mri scan within a couple of months
The follow up appointment has just come through for August but no mention of any scan.

Is this normal?

If there is no scan, what would a follow up appointment be for?

My mum is itching for him to drive again after this appointment but so far we have not found out the reasons for 2 funny turns, one of which wrote the car off.
The GP is focussing on his cholesterol but says there could be a thyroid issue but she is not investigating this yet.
My mum is v anxious and demanding of him.

I have noticed a fair few memory issues and excessive anxiety and my brother gets this too (he told the memory clinic and GP our concerns as he lives near them)
thank you v much. Both parents are downplaying the accident and funny turn. They have always been v resistant to change. Their friends have had accidents and are now driving again which does not help either sadly

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Downplaying an accident and acute anxiety could cause serious harm to your parents and others. I would have a very firm word with your mother and suggest you contact the DVLA

It is what I did when my mother with dementia said her car knows it`s own way home

catherinewa

Mar 7, 2023
Im relieved that the mri scan appointment has now come through.
presumably the appointment with the consultant is for feedback after the scan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Learning every day