First time writing

Dobson

Apr 11, 2016
This is the first time I have ever written anything on any forum! I don't even have Facebook, so please bear with me.
I'm in this place even though I don't know what stage my mum is at. My dad is her only carer, we do what we can. Dad has never openly accepted mum's condition, he won't use the "d" word and claims she's tired etc when her actions are unusual.
Mum started stumbling her words 8 years ago and rapidly lost words, as if they been erased from her memory. She was eventually diagnosed with non fluent primary progressive aphasia at 64 years old. Dad insisted that all she had lost was her voice, but over the next few years she lost facial expression and her swallowing function became poor.
She lost a lot of weight, became more depressed and isolated and dad became more upset but determined to look after her. I don't know how much support he has been offered and/or rejected as he tells us very little.
About 18 months ago he hinted that more help from us was needed and asked if we would consider moving into a house big enough for all of us. We agreed and have been working towards this. He also wanted to fulfil a long term dream of both himself and mum to return to live by the coast. We are at the point of no return with this plan, I have handed in my notice and we have accepted an offer on our house.
At this precise moment mum's condition appears to have deteriorated and dad has gone into meltdown. It is clear to us that mum's ftd has got worse. She displays agitated compulsive behaviour (refusing to let go of things, stirring drinks endlessly) she wanders off and has lost social awareness. Last week she soiled herself (she wears incontinence pads) and handed me a poo! Dad insists that she 'doesn't register' on 'the dementia scale' only on the stokes scale?? I can't find what this means.
She also burned herself badly last week but appeared to feel no pain at all. Is this 'normal' progression of her condition? What stage would this behaviour indicate? Physically she is in good health.
I am hoping that dad will accept more help after this but feel that it will be an increasingly difficult journey from now on.
Thanks for reading, it has helped to get it out.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Dobson, a warm welcome to Talking Point, thank you for introducing yourself and hope this friendly,understanding and supportive site will be of help to you when needed:) so sorry you seem to be inbetween a rock and hard place at the moment, understand totally that your dad wants to do all the looking after,but sadly at the moment a big worry is mum wandering off and also burning herself, may I gently suggest that maybe you could see her doctor or have a telephone consultation in confidence,regarding these new worrying problems? some GPs can be very clever in persuading a partner that help is needed without saying so! above all I hope you get practical help very soon, please let us know how things are going.
Take care
Chris

Dobson

Apr 11, 2016
Thank you

Thank you Chris. I am in the process of drafting a letter to mum's gp but my dad would be furious if he knew! I will ask her not to drop me in it!! I suspect the hospital will also pass on their concerns to the gp after her follow up appointment from the burn but time is of the essence if we are to pull out of house sales etc
Thanks again, I appreciate your support

UOTE=chris53;1257854]Hello Dobson, a warm welcome to Talking Point, thank you for introducing yourself and hope this friendly,understanding and supportive site will be of help to you when needed:) so sorry you seem to be inbetween a rock and hard place at the moment, understand totally that your dad wants to do all the looking after,but sadly at the moment a big worry is mum wandering off and also burning herself, may I gently suggest that maybe you could see her doctor or have a telephone consultation in confidence,regarding these new worrying problems? some GPs can be very clever in persuading a partner that help is needed without saying so! above all I hope you get practical help very soon, please let us know how things are going.
Take care
Chris[/QUOTE]

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Hi Dobson. I know when dad's illness became a problem, and he was in denial, I phoned the GP and they were really good at 'fast- tracking' an assessment etc. I guess I had my poor wee mum on side tho, knowing all was not well and wanting help. Your dad must be struggling, as are you. This wasn't particularly useful, just wanted you to know that I understand how awful you must be feeling, and hope you get somewhere.x

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Hi Dobson. I'm not able to give you any professional/medical answers. I can only offer empathy. Has your dad had any health/mental care checks? He may be having his own problems.

100 miles

Apr 16, 2015
Dobson,

Things are difficult for everyone aren't they?

I agree with others that your mum's GP is a good place to start. Or memory clinic or whoever sees her.

But from what you have said - the dream of living by the coast is a fantasy. Your dad is dreaming of a totally different life on the coast. A peaceful one with strolls along the beach. From what you have said , that is not going to happen. And you would have all the trauma of a move, lack of income as well as finding appropriate care for your mum. I would consider knocking the move on the head right now. (Unless it is one that you want to make).

Dobson

Apr 11, 2016
Thank you

Thank you so much. I suspect dad has depression, as I guess many carers do. He either hasn't been offered, or has refused help. Hope the burn episode prompts him to accept that he can't manage alone.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl