First post

AS9133

Aug 29, 2017
Hi guys. I don't know how much I may use this forum, this may just end up being a case of clearing my chest. Writing down all the things that are happening right now, my worries, my fears, and everything else that is happening around me right now.

I already know I'm probably gonna come across as a selfish, careless, horrible person. But I don't know how to deal with any of this, it's all the first time I'm really going through anything like this. It's not about me, I get that. I'm not the sufferer of dementia, I know that things can't be helped and what is, isn't going to get any better.

I live with my grandparents, I'm 25, have worked since I left college at 18, but only recently in the past 2 years managed to secure stable, full time employment. My grandparents have always been great. They took me in when my parents split up and both moved away as I was at an important stage at school, and couldn't move away. My grandparents have 2 kids, my dad, who lives in a different part of the country, and his sister who lives in the same town.

My nan couldn't do enough to help anyone, shes the most caring and loving person you could ever meet. My grandad was always great growing up. Strict, but fair. But a great man.

4 years ago he was diagnosed with vascular dementia. He's currently 84. For 6 months before that, he would repeat himself and tell you a story he's just finished telling you, and do silly things like put the house key in the fridge, silly little things. So we had a dementia nurse come and assess him, and we found out he had vascular dementia.

For probably a year to two years, he didn't really get much worse, he still would be repeating things, but he had a daily routine he knew. He would go collect the papers every morning, one for our house and one for the neighbours. He'd still go out with his drinking buddies and long time friends on a Thursday evening, walking the 500m or so to the club just up the road, and back by himself in the evening.

As he got slightly worse, the repeating himself got worse, his friends kind of thought it would be best if maybe he didn't come anymore, and we weren't happy about him walking back in the dark, and he wasn't bothered as he felt I suppose, slightly outcast from the group. So he stopped going.

I guess my point is he was always an active man, he worked up until he was 72, retired, got bored and went back part time until 77. I suppose that's one of the worst things is knowing what he was like, and what he's like now. It's crazy.

Anyway, I suppose 18 months ago he started to get a lot worse. My nan and grandad always enjoyed breaks away, only in the UK but they'd go on cheap coach holidays maybe twice a year, and down to stay with family a couple of times a year also. Whenever he was away he would spend the whole time saying he wants to go home and things like that. He'd forget where he was and what he was doing, but would know it wasn't right.

One night on a coach holiday down in Folkestone he let himself out of the room and wandered downstairs to reception to ask where the toilet was. Couldn't remember his name, or his wife's name, and it was only when my nan woke up and noticed the door was open that she worked out where he was.

About 6 months after that things got worse again, he didn't know who people were in photos we have around the house, he knew he knew them, but didn't know who they were, or names. When people visit he would know he knows them but again wouldn't know who they were even when you asked him unless he really thought about it, he would say he knows the face but doesn't know who they are until it would come to him.

About 8 months ago he stopped sleeping properly. He would go a night or so well, sleeping through, and another night he would get up every ten minutes to go to the toilet, for a few hours until he would eventually go to sleep. He used to tell stories of his old navy days, you couldn't get a conversation about things happening now, truth be told he didn't really know what was happening around him, but you could still hold a conversation. At this stage, that went out of the window. He talks in sentences, but nothing makes sense, nothing linked with anything that's happening or he could see, but I guess it made sense to him. He would ask what time the train is picking him up to take him home, how does he get onto the boat when it turns up outside to get back. What time is someone collecting him to take him to the airport.

We of course just reassured him that he is at home and that no one is coming to collect him because he's already at home and we don't need to go anywhere. That'd satisfy him.

Then I suppose around 6 months ago, he collapsed in the shop round the corner. No real damage, didn't hit his head, but an ambulance was called, and we had to move their bedroom from an upstairs room to the downstairs dining room. We kept the layout the same as not to confuse him even more so. But he was wobbly on his legs and we don't want him to fall down the stairs.

Ever since then, the deterioration has been a lot worse. He doesn't sleep at night at all. We've tried all sorts of tablets prescribed by the doctor, but he will spend all night fidgeting. Wandering around the house, crawling around the floor. He will say things like he's getting his tools ready. The shed is on fire. Strange things which make no sense. Then he will kneel on the bed or the floor, not knowing what he's doing.

My nan has to help dress him, he doesn't know when to lift each foot when putting on his trousers, he can't work out how zips work anymore, he will be doing things like say holding onto the curtain near the chair in the lounge. When you ask him not to hold it he will say he isn't, like he doesn't know he is doing it.

His face is just gaunt, he isn't the man he once was, and it gets me down knowing that.

I'm the only member of the family to live with them. His daughter, my aunt, has a dog who she won't leave at home during the day. So every day they bring the dog round to my nan and grandad, along with mountains of ironing every couple of days which my nan does, without question, because she just can't help enough. Despite having to care for my grandad all day. If he can't see my nan he will go wandering around looking for her. He's escaped out of the house a few times to be brought back by people down our road. It's a close knit community here and everyone looks out for him.

When my aunt, and her partner and daughters come round, they think it's hilarious to ask him who am I dad/grandad. And he doesn't know. They think it's funny because his stock answer is Fred, but it winds me up and makes me sad because they don't see what he's like every day, oh silly old grandad forgetting names. But it's horrible. It's demeaning to him in my eyes. I try and avoid seeing them when they come round because they always ask and it always winds me up.

I do everything I can to help despite working full time, evenings and weekends too on most weeks. I take them shopping, I do anything around the house that needs doing, I repair things.

Yet my nans daughter says I do nothing, I don't pay enough rent to be here, and I should do more to help. While every day adding to the pressure my nan is under by bringing the dog round for her to look after, mountains of ironing. My nan is too nice to say no, she says she likes having the dog, doesn't mind doing the ironing because her daughter works full time. But I know it's a strain, because I know what it's like having to look after my grandad, but she will never say anything. I'm not to say anything because my nan would hate to upset her.

None of us get any sleep as my grandad wanders the house all night, my nan is in tears most mornings due to lack of sleep and not knowing where to turn, yet I get made out to be the bad guy because apparently I should help more with my grandad, but I can't make him sleep. My nan fully agrees and defends me on this.

We have looked at the cost of care, and it really isn't an option. I honestly don't think he will be around much longer as I don't know how his body can cope even now. I know he wouldn't last long in a care home as my other grandad, on my mums side, went so far downhill and passed away not long after going into care. It sounds absolutely awful, but I sometimes think that if he did pass away at least he's at peace.

He can't communicate properly anymore. Yes, he can talk and speak without problem but what he does say makes no sense to him, or to anyone else. He gets angry any time we try to help him with things. He can't go to the toilet by himself without making a terrible mess, and he can't even sleep. I hate myself for thinking it, but I know that before he was ill if he was asked what would you rather, I know what he would have said.

No other family member gets it, because they don't see what he's like every day. They have no idea. It's hard. Bloody hard. Not just for me and my nan but I can't imagine, that if somewhere in his mind, anything makes any sense anymore, what it must be like for him.

He doesn't know when he's at home, he doesn't know night or day, he just really does not know what he is doing anymore.

My nan tries to carry on the best she can, she is honestly brilliant, but she can't continue to cope with no sleep. She just tries and tries to get on, but she knows things aren't ok. Shes terrified that even if we could afford a home, he would hate her for putting him in one. But in all honesty I don't think he'd know much about it. He doesn't know who people are anymore and he just is not the man anyone knew him as.

I don't know if I want answers or really have any questions, just feel I needed to write this down. I'm saving to move out, but I couldn't leave it all to my nan to do. I'm already made out to be the bad guy. My cousins might take my grandad out once a month. They're hailed as heroes, but they don't live with him and do things every day, it's not the beautiful, fun days in the sun once every blue moon. But it's making sure there's food to eat, he's got a drink when he wants it, he's guided to the toilet, he's shown where rooms of the house are, its tidying up when he thinks the fridge is the bin and has chucked his rubbish in there. It's repairing the fence in the garden. It's fixing the car. It's changing the curtain rail.

I don't know how much longer he will be around. I don't know enough about the disease to be able to say. But I feel at this rate of deterioration it can't be too long. Although that makes me sad, I also think what if that's for the best. For him. See, I told you I'd sound horrible and selfish. I dunno, maybe you guys in similar situations will understand.

Care home costs are astronomical for dementia sufferers. My grandparents own this property, which is probably £200k max, and have a few thousand in the bank. From what I understand the house would have to be sold, but where would my nan go in the mean time, and the cost of care isn't going to mean that money will go very far either. From what I understand, there would be no assistance at all due to the fact they own a property of that value. I really don't know the exact ins and outs of this line of help, I know really a care home my nan would like to avoid even if it could be afforded, but I don't know. No idea apart from a little bit read online. My nan doesn't really want to find out because she doesn't want it to have to happen.

I realise this post is huge, but there's a lot been on my mind. Apologies.

TL;DR- probably not worth your time.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello AS9133

Your nan will not have to give up her home if your granddad has to go into residential care.

Irene16

Jan 25, 2016
Hi

My heart goes out to you. We all understand on here what it's like caring for somebody with such a cruel disease. You really need to get some additional support for both you and your Nan. How on earth you are coping I do not know. I had an incredibly helpful conversation with an Alzheimer's advisor regarding external care and support, maybe that could be your first point of call? wishing you well.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
First of all, you're not in the slightest bit selfish or horrible, on the contrary.

Second, the house will NOT have to be sold while your nan lives in it, so forget about that worry. Any financial assessment will only ever take your grandad's assets into account (minus the property while a spouse or someone over 60 or a dependant child lives in it), so that would be the money in his accounts and half of any joint accounts. Only if he has over £23,250 will he be self-funding. Under that Social Services will have to help with the funding. So please don't worry about the money.

Your grandad sounds like he needs a lot more help so please contact adult social services urgently and ask for a needs assessment, plus a carers assessment for your nan. She is entitled to one by law. Tell them they have "duty of care for a vulnerable adult at risk".

It is completely unfair for your nan to be lumbered with extra tasks like dog sitting and ironing. Have a word with them, but in the meantime, could you help a little with the ironing or find out how much professionals would charge and present your aunt with a mock bill? She needs to know she is abusing your nan's good will.

Also, please know that your grandad is entitled to Attendance Allowance, and with the amount of night disturbance, he should be put straight onto the higher rate. You can apply here:
https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/overview

Last edited:

DeniseH66

Aug 27, 2017
Greater London
Thank you for sharing your story, you really are doing an amazing job.

I empathise with you, knowing how hard it is and others coming to save one day - grrrr
I wish my nephews (your age group) could show that compassion and care for their grandparents. One visit in 3 months, they live 10 minutes up the road. Nevertheless I'm here for my Mum and not to annoy myself by actions of others.

Be proud of who you are, take time each day to give Nan a big hug and receive one back.

I've learnt with this wicked illness, a day at a time and a rollercoaster of emotions are the norm.
I figure using here to say it out loud is where people get you and no judgement is made.
I've just not had the courage that you've had to tell it all, sure we could all write a book.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello AS9133
a warm welcome to TP
getting it all off your chest is exactly what TP is here for - that and getting the support you, your nan and your granddad so badly need

you are amazing for being so supportive and so concerned - but it shouldn't be down to you to sort out the situation

I really think that you need to print off what you have written and send it to your dad and your aunt - they are clearly not able and/or not wanting to see what is happening with their parents

also send a copy to your granddad's GP who doesn't seem to be aware of how bad your granddad's condition is getting, and they need to know - possibly your nan plays things down, so you need to be brutally honest

also, contact their Local Authority Adult Services and ask for an urgent assessment of your granddad's care needs - he has a right to this - and your nan has a right to a carer's assessment - tell them that your nan will never say that she is finding it hard to cope but you know she is finding life challenging and without support will reach carer breakdown - this means that they are both 'vulnerable adults' and their health and welfare is 'at risk' - use those phrases to get their attention

your grandparents house is NOT, however, at risk at all - as long as your nan lives there it is disregarded in any assessment of your granddad's finances to pay for his care - if HE has savings below £23250 then the LA will at least partly fund his care - any income that is your nan's is not part of the financial assessment, or half of any joint savings

I hope your grandad is receiving Attendance Allowance - if not apply for it asap
https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
fill in the forms describing your granddad's worst day - AgeUK and CAB can help you with these - maybe show them to your aunt who is clearly in need of a reality check

also look into organising Powers of Attorney for both your grandparents - these can be done online

I won't go on now, as I'm hoping you will come back often and ask anything that is on your mind so members can help you with all of this

you are an absolute credit to your grandparents - be very proud of how you are looking out for them - and you are absolutely right to be seeking as much support as you can for them
best wishes

PS I agree with others, too - YOU have your future to consider and need to keep your job - your grandparents of old would encourage you to move forward from the solid foundation they have been for you - it may be that you moving out would make others realise that they are taking for granted that your grandparents are fine - you will never abandon them, you'll continue to monitor how they are
could you afford to give your aunt a birthday/Christmas present of a voucher for an hour's professional ironing; she may then begin to think how much she is putting on her mother

Last edited:

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi AS9133 what a very sad story. I feel so sorry for you all especially your poor nan:( Your aunt & cousins seriously need a reality check. Your nan is probably trying to carry on as normal perhaps to avoid the reality of what's happening. You all need help & support so perhaps a chat with adult social services to see what is available & advice on care homes or respite would give you all the escape route that may be needed. Try to encourage your nan to talk to her daughter, I think she should see the true situation. Perhaps then some support will come from them. You are clearly a very caring person & your nan is probably so thankful to have your help so don't be browbeaten by the uncaring comments. My best wishes to you, I really hope you can get the help you all need.

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
You have come to the right place and you are where I was a couple of years ago and cam here bewildered and people with loads more experience help you out.
I can only echo what others have said about getting attendance allowance which is not means tested. Carers aloowance is means tested but worth looking at if savings are small. Get help to complete the form, when I did mums it went on for pages and she got it first time of applying.
Also echo that your nan will not lose her home.
yes care is expensive, i've just put mum into respite for two weeks. But look at carers coming in. We are in the Midlands and pay about 16 an hour. Age concern do a service to help with domestic jobs, hoovering, laundry etc. I battled my dad for over a year to get someone in to get mum washed and dressed. You can get a needs assessment from social care team at your local authority. Some are better than others I haven't found mine much use because mum is self funded.

Please don't feel you are a selfish or awful person. You are not. I don't live with my mum but still spend many hours sorting things, buying things making phone calls etc. It is draining and feels like a never ending journey. It's hard work for the main carer and extremely tricky to get them to accept they need help. Take each day as it comes, make small steps towards better support and come here often for advice support and a moan now and then.

But equally, look after yourself too

AS9133

Aug 29, 2017
Thank you all

Firstly may I just say a big thank you to you all. Posting that helped, and you've all been so welcoming and caring. Heh, well, you're all carers after all!

My nan currently gets the basic carers amount, the £50 a week or whatever it works out to. We had a social worker round on Sunday, possibly last Sunday? To be honest the past few weeks have been such a blur I really couldn't pinpoint the date.

Anyway, my nan explained that at night time she was having to care for my grandad now, and the social worker agreed she qualifies for the higher rate so the necessary was completed then.

We explained the situation with what the nights are like and we have been pushing the social worker every day since to try to get a couple of weeks respite sorted out. There they hope to sort out his medication to find something that hopefully works, and that will give us all a break too.

In regards to everyone helping out, this'll take up a bit of space. My dad hadn't seen really how his dad had been getting worse until very recently. And when he had seen him before, it had been day time, where he's not so terrible. Wasn't so terrible.

But since seeing him how he is, what myself and my nan have been having to do he has been round every other night, staying over, giving me a hand and giving my nan a break. One of my cousins has also been a huge help. I really appreciate what they've both done.

However, my aunt, I can't say so much. I got home from work last night around 20:00 and she had just pulled up on the drive. I made a little quip along the lines of fancy seeing you here! Then when we got into the house my dad was already there with my grandad, so my nan started to heat up some dinner which had been cooked earlier so I had something to eat. My aunt had a dig at me saying can't you cook your own dinner when you get in?

I wandered into the hall to drop my work bag, lo and behold a huge basket of ironing she'd clearly brought with her. Can't you do your own ironing?

I leave the house at 07:30 in the morning, I'm not home until 20:00, and then from then until well, it's nearly 01:00 now, I'm doing what needs to be done for my grandad. I do often make my own meals but sometimes I'll just have something from earlier in the evening when my nan and grandad have their meals. Shoot me... She proceeded to stay an hour or so until he got into bed then ******ed off home. We had to deal with him getting up and then falling out of bed, again getting her off the hook.

Anyway, grandad has stopped being given zolpiden which honestly made him crazy. He's would hallucinate worse than usual and really not be in a good way at all. He's now been prescribed dosulepin which seems to keep him more coherent. But you can see he's getting tired, but his brain or something just fights and fights and fights.

He's getting more aggressive more often now too. He managed to pick up a penny last night and put it in his mouth. While trying to get him to spit it out he tried to punch my nan in the face. A couple of days ago he threatened to punch me, because I didn't help him with a non existent task that neither of us actually did. Today, he's been pulling on my clothes, pushing me when I try to stop him from falling over, and even threatened to headbutt me.

I'm big enough and strong enough to cope, but my nan isn't and is scared of him now. Care really is the only option.

Tonight, my aunt came round for probably 45 minutes until my grandad said he wanted to get into bed at 20:45, which he never does, and my nan told her to go home because she's "had a terrible few days with him". Shes probably spent 2 hours maybe 3 with him while he's been generally in a good way in fairly good spirits, a little aggressive but not massively. Must have been terrible.

I took the evening as a chance of a little respite myself as I knew my aunt was there, and went to help my younger brother with some homework (he's 13, just gone back to school). Got a phone call shortly after 21:00 can I come home because grandad is being aggressive. I rushed home and he'd grabbed my nans arm and made her bleed.

I've settled him into bed 4 times tonight, and I'm currently laying on the floor next to his bed to make sure if he falls out I'm there to help him back. I've got work in less than 8 hours too.

Thats brilliant news on the care home, I didn't realise that about the property at all. All in all in savings, between them, they have around 35k. I think 10 is my nans, 10 is my grandads and the rest is in a joint account. It sounds entirely possible that care could be more affordable than we think.

I'm honestly at a loss of what more we could do at home. Nothing, I feel. I think that a care home is the best and only way really for moving forwards. We are hoping for respite soon, but I've honestly no idea how long it normally takes the social worker to arrange this. She's been aware of the aggression but I might get my nan to explain just how frightened she is now and see if that maybe jogs things on a bit quicker.

Then while he's in respite, it would give us a chance to look into care homes properly, which isn't possible when he is here.

Really I do not have a clue what's the best way to do anything. I've never had to do this before. Is there a way to get a hurry on the respite? How does one go about arranging a care home? Who does the assessment to see who funds it, the care home themselves or do you need to go through social services first? If so, how long does it take to get things in place to actually getting my grandad into a home?

We've a care home near by where we've sent my grandad to the day centre a few times when he wasn't so bad as he is now, and the care home there is lovely. He stopped going as he wouldn't rest afterwards, but if the staff are anything like the day centre we would be confident he's in safe hands.

Hope all this makes sense. Sleep deprived and throughly peed off doesn't make for the clearest of typing.

Thanks again to you all, you've been so supportive and helpful.

AS9133

Aug 29, 2017

The above message I was writing the early hours of this morning, 01:00 sort of time after finally getting him settled in bed.

Woke up 03:00 this morning, very very odd breathing. Ambulance called (which took 2 hours to arrive), where he got very aggressive again and crushed the ladies hand. Taken to a and e 40 minutes ago or so. My nan has gone with him along with the aunt, because I've got work and there'd be no need for me to be there too. I've written up reports of what's happened so far.

Our social worker did say to us that a quicker way to get respite care is if he did have a fall and hurt himself, and have to go to hospital, don't take him home. Tell them you can't cope and you're frightened etc. and that way social services will take note quicker.

Trouble is I know full well that nan will play everything down and he will be home again tonight. He can't really be here as its just so much strain now on everything. I'll keep you updated.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
AS,

This sounds a very difficult situation for both you and your Nan. My heart goes out to you. You also sound very thinly spread between. work (and you are doing long hours), supporting your nan, trying to care for you Grandfather and trying to help you younger brother.

In hospital, you can say you are refusing to have your Grandfather home until a care package is in place. Should you have time, and that sounds in short supply, write a few notes on a typical day and how the situation is escalating. Is that what you were writing last night? Add that your nan is at risk of physical harm from your GF (Grandfather) and that he attacked the ambulance staff.

Should your GF be sent home there are various things you can do. Should he attack your nan again call the police. Try and get your nan and yourself to a safe place and make the call. There is then a line of evidence of what is going on.

Phone SS (Social Services) and tell them what has been going on. Say that your and your nan are at risk of physical harm and that your GF has already attacked your nan. You will take no responsibility for what goes should your GF be sent home. It will be SS's responsibility should he be released and attack you or your nan once home. Take down the name of the person you have spoken with, their email and time of call. Follow up with an email as that is another line of evidence.

It is not just what your GF says that should be taken into account. It is how it is affecting your and your nan. PWD (People with Dementia) go into 'Hostess' mode in front of new people and, irritatingly, can come across as competent, aware, rational and totally deny their behaviour. Not because they are being cunning, well, a bit of that, but because they can't remember.

I am very aware I am adding to your workload, but better you follow up rather than months of drama and physical assaults.

Bless, you. I don't know how you are still standing.

Please keep posting here for support, guidance and a place to offload.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello AS9133
I hope your nan is fine and your grandad is getting the care he needs

it really is time for your dad to step up and block any possibility of his dad going home

print off your posts here and give copies to anyone remotely involved, insist that a copy go on your grandad's files

for your dad, these are important phrases - his parents are both 'vulnerable adults' and 'at risk'; your nan is at risk of harm because of her husband's aggression and violence, and has already been injured by him; your grandad is at risk because of his dementia and his behaviour - the Local Authority has the 'duty of care' for them both - it is not in your nan's best interests to have her husband back home as he is volatile and his behaviour unpredictable - it is in your grandad's best interests to have full time care so that his challenging behaviour and care needs can be provided for, which cannot happen in his own home - he needs to tell the social worker at the hospital that he holds the Social Services responsible for both his parents' health and welfare

best wishes to you all

Mydra52

Sep 8, 2017
You sound a wonderful granddaughter.

Hi guys. I don't know how much I may use this forum, this may just end up being a case of clearing my chest. Writing down all the things that are happening right now, my worries, my fears, and everything else that is happening around me right now.

I already know I'm probably gonna come across as a selfish, careless, horrible person. But I don't know how to deal with any of this, it's all the first time I'm really going through anything like this. It's not about me, I get that. I'm not the sufferer of dementia, I know that things can't be helped and what is, isn't going to get any better.

I live with my grandparents, I'm 25, have worked since I left college at 18, but only recently in the past 2 years managed to secure stable, full time employment. My grandparents have always been great. They took me in when my parents split up and both moved away as I was at an important stage at school, and couldn't move away. My grandparents have 2 kids, my dad, who lives in a different part of the country, and his sister who lives in the same town.

My nan couldn't do enough to help anyone, shes the most caring and loving person you could ever meet. My grandad was always great growing up. Strict, but fair. But a great man.

4 years ago he was diagnosed with vascular dementia. He's currently 84. For 6 months before that, he would repeat himself and tell you a story he's just finished telling you, and do silly things like put the house key in the fridge, silly little things. So we had a dementia nurse come and assess him, and we found out he had vascular dementia.

For probably a year to two years, he didn't really get much worse, he still would be repeating things, but he had a daily routine he knew. He would go collect the papers every morning, one for our house and one for the neighbours. He'd still go out with his drinking buddies and long time friends on a Thursday evening, walking the 500m or so to the club just up the road, and back by himself in the evening.

As he got slightly worse, the repeating himself got worse, his friends kind of thought it would be best if maybe he didn't come anymore, and we weren't happy about him walking back in the dark, and he wasn't bothered as he felt I suppose, slightly outcast from the group. So he stopped going.

I guess my point is he was always an active man, he worked up until he was 72, retired, got bored and went back part time until 77. I suppose that's one of the worst things is knowing what he was like, and what he's like now. It's crazy.

Anyway, I suppose 18 months ago he started to get a lot worse. My nan and grandad always enjoyed breaks away, only in the UK but they'd go on cheap coach holidays maybe twice a year, and down to stay with family a couple of times a year also. Whenever he was away he would spend the whole time saying he wants to go home and things like that. He'd forget where he was and what he was doing, but would know it wasn't right.

One night on a coach holiday down in Folkestone he let himself out of the room and wandered downstairs to reception to ask where the toilet was. Couldn't remember his name, or his wife's name, and it was only when my nan woke up and noticed the door was open that she worked out where he was.

About 6 months after that things got worse again, he didn't know who people were in photos we have around the house, he knew he knew them, but didn't know who they were, or names. When people visit he would know he knows them but again wouldn't know who they were even when you asked him unless he really thought about it, he would say he knows the face but doesn't know who they are until it would come to him.

About 8 months ago he stopped sleeping properly. He would go a night or so well, sleeping through, and another night he would get up every ten minutes to go to the toilet, for a few hours until he would eventually go to sleep. He used to tell stories of his old navy days, you couldn't get a conversation about things happening now, truth be told he didn't really know what was happening around him, but you could still hold a conversation. At this stage, that went out of the window. He talks in sentences, but nothing makes sense, nothing linked with anything that's happening or he could see, but I guess it made sense to him. He would ask what time the train is picking him up to take him home, how does he get onto the boat when it turns up outside to get back. What time is someone collecting him to take him to the airport.

We of course just reassured him that he is at home and that no one is coming to collect him because he's already at home and we don't need to go anywhere. That'd satisfy him.

Then I suppose around 6 months ago, he collapsed in the shop round the corner. No real damage, didn't hit his head, but an ambulance was called, and we had to move their bedroom from an upstairs room to the downstairs dining room. We kept the layout the same as not to confuse him even more so. But he was wobbly on his legs and we don't want him to fall down the stairs.

Ever since then, the deterioration has been a lot worse. He doesn't sleep at night at all. We've tried all sorts of tablets prescribed by the doctor, but he will spend all night fidgeting. Wandering around the house, crawling around the floor. He will say things like he's getting his tools ready. The shed is on fire. Strange things which make no sense. Then he will kneel on the bed or the floor, not knowing what he's doing.

My nan has to help dress him, he doesn't know when to lift each foot when putting on his trousers, he can't work out how zips work anymore, he will be doing things like say holding onto the curtain near the chair in the lounge. When you ask him not to hold it he will say he isn't, like he doesn't know he is doing it.

His face is just gaunt, he isn't the man he once was, and it gets me down knowing that.

I'm the only member of the family to live with them. His daughter, my aunt, has a dog who she won't leave at home during the day. So every day they bring the dog round to my nan and grandad, along with mountains of ironing every couple of days which my nan does, without question, because she just can't help enough. Despite having to care for my grandad all day. If he can't see my nan he will go wandering around looking for her. He's escaped out of the house a few times to be brought back by people down our road. It's a close knit community here and everyone looks out for him.

When my aunt, and her partner and daughters come round, they think it's hilarious to ask him who am I dad/grandad. And he doesn't know. They think it's funny because his stock answer is Fred, but it winds me up and makes me sad because they don't see what he's like every day, oh silly old grandad forgetting names. But it's horrible. It's demeaning to him in my eyes. I try and avoid seeing them when they come round because they always ask and it always winds me up.

I do everything I can to help despite working full time, evenings and weekends too on most weeks. I take them shopping, I do anything around the house that needs doing, I repair things.

Yet my nans daughter says I do nothing, I don't pay enough rent to be here, and I should do more to help. While every day adding to the pressure my nan is under by bringing the dog round for her to look after, mountains of ironing. My nan is too nice to say no, she says she likes having the dog, doesn't mind doing the ironing because her daughter works full time. But I know it's a strain, because I know what it's like having to look after my grandad, but she will never say anything. I'm not to say anything because my nan would hate to upset her.

None of us get any sleep as my grandad wanders the house all night, my nan is in tears most mornings due to lack of sleep and not knowing where to turn, yet I get made out to be the bad guy because apparently I should help more with my grandad, but I can't make him sleep. My nan fully agrees and defends me on this.

We have looked at the cost of care, and it really isn't an option. I honestly don't think he will be around much longer as I don't know how his body can cope even now. I know he wouldn't last long in a care home as my other grandad, on my mums side, went so far downhill and passed away not long after going into care. It sounds absolutely awful, but I sometimes think that if he did pass away at least he's at peace.

He can't communicate properly anymore. Yes, he can talk and speak without problem but what he does say makes no sense to him, or to anyone else. He gets angry any time we try to help him with things. He can't go to the toilet by himself without making a terrible mess, and he can't even sleep. I hate myself for thinking it, but I know that before he was ill if he was asked what would you rather, I know what he would have said.

No other family member gets it, because they don't see what he's like every day. They have no idea. It's hard. Bloody hard. Not just for me and my nan but I can't imagine, that if somewhere in his mind, anything makes any sense anymore, what it must be like for him.

He doesn't know when he's at home, he doesn't know night or day, he just really does not know what he is doing anymore.

My nan tries to carry on the best she can, she is honestly brilliant, but she can't continue to cope with no sleep. She just tries and tries to get on, but she knows things aren't ok. Shes terrified that even if we could afford a home, he would hate her for putting him in one. But in all honesty I don't think he'd know much about it. He doesn't know who people are anymore and he just is not the man anyone knew him as.

I don't know if I want answers or really have any questions, just feel I needed to write this down. I'm saving to move out, but I couldn't leave it all to my nan to do. I'm already made out to be the bad guy. My cousins might take my grandad out once a month. They're hailed as heroes, but they don't live with him and do things every day, it's not the beautiful, fun days in the sun once every blue moon. But it's making sure there's food to eat, he's got a drink when he wants it, he's guided to the toilet, he's shown where rooms of the house are, its tidying up when he thinks the fridge is the bin and has chucked his rubbish in there. It's repairing the fence in the garden. It's fixing the car. It's changing the curtain rail.

I don't know how much longer he will be around. I don't know enough about the disease to be able to say. But I feel at this rate of deterioration it can't be too long. Although that makes me sad, I also think what if that's for the best. For him. See, I told you I'd sound horrible and selfish. I dunno, maybe you guys in similar situations will understand.

Care home costs are astronomical for dementia sufferers. My grandparents own this property, which is probably £200k max, and have a few thousand in the bank. From what I understand the house would have to be sold, but where would my nan go in the mean time, and the cost of care isn't going to mean that money will go very far either. From what I understand, there would be no assistance at all due to the fact they own a property of that value. I really don't know the exact ins and outs of this line of help, I know really a care home my nan would like to avoid even if it could be afforded, but I don't know. No idea apart from a little bit read online. My nan doesn't really want to find out because she doesn't want it to have to happen.

I realise this post is huge, but there's a lot been on my mind. Apologies.

TL;DR- probably not worth your time.

It is not you who is selfish, its your Aunt many people work full time, and do their own ironing, your Nan must be a breaking point, my elderly father is the main carer for my mother, and he is at breaking point, hating waking up each morning, with what little sleep he has had, so I can totally understand how you and your Nan feel, my father is fighting carers or help, despite my mother flooding the house, setting fire to it, wandering off many times, he to feels guilty, and will not listen to me, try and get help now, you never know had bad things may become.

Good luck, the advice others have given you is totally right, social services have to help you.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
What an exhausting situation you are in! You certainly don't sound selfish, I hope I have a grandchild like you some day.

Getting your GF the care he needs might not be an easy task but it really does sound as if the time has come that his needs cannot be met in his own home. Getting him settled in a good home is not selfish, it does not mean that you don't care, it means that you care enough to put his needs before your wish to look after him yourself.

It really does sound as if this is something your dad could/should help with. As for your aunt - it is probably best I don't say what I am thinking as it would upset our lovely moderators :mad:

Please keep posting, you will still be caring, even if your GF is no longer living at home.

Last edited: