First appointment with CMHT

ukwanderer

Jan 24, 2016
West Midlands
Hi All

Finally got a date for dad's first appointment (end April), & hopefully will get prescription for AD medication.

Could you tell me what to expect / who I am likely to meet at a first appointment? I'd like to be as prepared as possible when we get there. There seems to have been an awfully long wait for this appointment since his memory test early September, so I want to get as much out of the meeting as I possibly can.

Thanks

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
What I would ask when you are there is who do you go back to if you have any queries/concerns re your Dad's medication? It's a bit trial and error with what meds are suitable and if you have any worries, best to know in advance who your point of contact is.

If you have any concerns you specifically want to raise, it's a good idea to bring a bullet pointed list saying what the issue is and what your expectation is (i.e. Dad is very anxious so want something to help him keep calm). Sometimes it is easier to put things in writing as it can be less upsetting than saying something in front of your loved one plus it saves the Dr making notes :) Also they can keep the list and add it to your Dad's medical file.

ukwanderer

Jan 24, 2016
West Midlands
What I would ask when you are there is who do you go back to if you have any queries/concerns re your Dad's medication? It's a bit trial and error with what meds are suitable and if you have any worries, best to know in advance who your point of contact is.

If you have any concerns you specifically want to raise, it's a good idea to bring a bullet pointed list saying what the issue is and what your expectation is (i.e. Dad is very anxious so want something to help him keep calm). Sometimes it is easier to put things in writing as it can be less upsetting than saying something in front of your loved one plus it saves the Dr making notes :) Also they can keep the list and add it to your Dad's medical file.

Thank you Risa - will do as you suggest