Finding support for my mum.

Lesley_A

Jul 6, 2020
Mum mum has dementia and during hours of 4 to 6pm cannot settle. My dad is the 24 7 carer for her at home. Perhaps someone could visit her and stay for a couple of hours. Is there any agency help that would come to their home to sit with mum for a bit. Not sure who to contact. Any ideas please?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to read about your mum and understand how distressing this must be for you and your dad. It sounds like your mum is displaying symptoms of ‘sundowning’. This is some information about it-

It might be worth contacting your local social work department to ask if there is any support they could give to your mum. It’s might be a bit more difficult due to the situation re Covid etc. If you put the postcode into the box in this link it might help you find what is available locally=

Please keep posting on the forum. You will find lots of help and support here.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello
A warm welcome to DTP

Your dad can certainly arrange some home care through a local agency... their Local Authority will probably have a list of agencies

I also suggest he contacts their LA Adult Services to organise an assessment of your mum's care needs, though this may take some time at the moment

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This question comes up quite often on here, so I asked my OHs carer whether it was something that they did and he confirmed that it was.

If your mum would be self-funding (savings over £25,000 excluding the house, and therefore would be expected to fund her own care) then you can just contact various agencies directly and ask then - just like you might contact varous people about fixing a roof. Is she is not self-funded then you need to contact Social Services for a Needs Assessment as the Local Authority can help with payment

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
The care agency that my mother-in-law used provided a sitting service. She was self funding and paid £23 an hour in the week, more at weekends. That was in 2018 so I expect this has increased

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjr57