Finding a local London councillor to advise family members

Nemo84

Apr 22, 2019
My step dad has been diagnosed with dementia recently and he has been having problems with remembering a lot of things, mainly struggles to know which country he's in.

My family are looking for a local councillor how can advise us on how to deal with this disease, how to talk to him when he's depressed or feeling isolated in conversations. I have looked everywhere online and I am struggling to find an expert in the field.

Any assistance would really help.

P.S. my step dad isn't NHS registered as he is a foreigner who spends 6 months a year in London so we can't do anything through the NHS in his case and are willing to go privately to seek assistance.

Thank you in advance.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My step dad has been diagnosed with dementia recently and he has been having problems with remembering a lot of things, mainly struggles to know which country he's in.

My family are looking for a local councillor how can advise us on how to deal with this disease, how to talk to him when he's depressed or feeling isolated in conversations. I have looked everywhere online and I am struggling to find an expert in the field.

Any assistance would really help.

P.S. my step dad isn't NHS registered as he is a foreigner who spends 6 months a year in London so we can't do anything through the NHS in his case and are willing to go privately to seek assistance.

Thank you in advance.

The Alzheimer's Society provides information called compassionate communication . I'm sure others will be along shortly to provide you with the link so you don't need an expensive counsellor to tell you how to talk to your stepdad. My husband and I had a very pleasant lady from the charity mind who came to talk to us away from my mother-in-law about the disease and its progression that actually was quite useful

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @naimkalaji and welcome to talking Point.

Im not sure that getting a counsellor will help your dad very much as he wont remember what he has been told. Talking therapy works very well for depression because the idea is that it can change your thinking, but with dementia they are unable to do this.

Antidepressant medication works quite well in dementia and often helps with things like the apathy too.
You might find this helpful in knowing how to communicate with your dad
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/thr...n-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/#post-413710

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Look to other carers who are going through the same. We are the best people to ask about any problem so ask away.