Financial issues

blessemall

Dec 26, 2012
This is a word of warning for people caring for a loved one with EARLY stages of Alzheimers. I thought I was being "with it" when I arranged power of attorney early on BUT I left it too late to activate this. It meant that I have had horrendous problems in getting various financial bodies to accept the P of A. It has cost me some £600 and a lot of trouble to get things sorted out. What I am suggesting is that if you have any financial resources in the name of the person suffering from Alzheimers then make sure you sort them out whilst the person concerned is still able to conduct his/her own affairs. It will save you a lot of time trouble and expense if you do it then, rather than leave it until the person concerned is no longer able to make their own decisions

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...I thought I was being "with it" when I arranged power of attorney early...
...What I am suggesting is that if you have any financial resources in the name of the person suffering from Alzheimers then make sure you sort them out whilst the person concerned is still able to conduct his/her own affairs...."

Or register the LPA with the OPG as soon as it is made, it is then available for immediate use when the donor looses capacity.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know what you mean by "left it too long to activate", but if you got it signed then put it in a drawer until the person had lost capacity, then that is not the recommended course of action. LPAs can and should be registered with the OPG straight away for precisely that reason.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
We are just dealing with POA and are waiting about 3months until it has been registered and then it will be in place if and when we need it .The option to put in place but not apply now, was not recommended as you have to pay again later when you want to use it and a Doctors fee would have to be paid £150. X

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
We had POA done for both of us before John was diagnosed and our solicitor recommended registering it immediately. As he said you can forget all about it until it is needed but if that happens it is ready to use immediately.

Good advice.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Registering both financial and health and welfare LPAs is best, it checks that there are no omissions or mistakes that need the donor to have capacity to rectify, also it is there ready to use if needed.

As regards paying when you come to use it, there is definitely no cost with a financial LPA unless it specifies that it can't be used until the donor has lost capacity.

All health and welfare LPAs cannot be used until the donor has lost capacity.

With any LPA that cannot be used while the donor has capacity extra cost is only incurred when there is contention about the donor's capacity and a formal COP 3 form has to be submitted, otherwise the decision is left to the attorney.