Fighting spirit!

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
Dad with AD at 87 years has been feeling tired. GP ordered blood test. Phlebotomist arrived, very nice boy with every good intention I'm sure. Dad agreed to the blood test, and allowed the tourniquet to be put on, but as soon as he saw the needle he said "Get that away from me." The boy duly obliged. Fair enough, but when the tourniquet was removed, dad grabbed the tourniquet back and there was a little bit of a tussle, dad was allowed to win and then dad threw the thing back and told him to P... off with it!

I do want him to have the blood test, but can't help admiring his fighting spirit, he served in our Royal Navy after all.

People with dementia have rights.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I hear you but what are you going to do about helping your Dad.

My husband has to have regular blood tests as he is on warfarin and thankfully he is compliant through the habit I suppose.

The GP cannot prescribe anything is the test cannot be done.

Jeannette

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
Thanks Jeannette, and I am worried about it because everybody is trying to help him, but he is his own worst enemy and due to the AD he just does not get it. I don't know the answer but it is truly stressing me out. I would be grateful for any suggestions because I don't know the answer and all I want to do is what is best for my dad. x

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
I hear you but what are you going to do about helping your Dad.

My husband has to have regular blood tests as he is on warfarin and thankfully he is compliant through the habit I suppose.

The GP cannot prescribe anything is the test cannot be done.

Jeannette

Dear Jeannette, I just feel I need to respond to your question about what I intend to do about helping my dad. The GP is fully aware of all developments and I will take his advice. Your husband is compliant and I hope you are grateful for that. I'm looking for emotional support on this site - there are loads of doctors. I am not stupid, I realise the doctor cannot prescribe anything until the test is done.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I am sorry if my reply has caused upset. I am indeed very grateful that Gordon is compliant. He is not compliant about everything, and I have many frustrating times with him too.

My response was probably too curt, but it would not have sounded curt if I had actually said it rather than write it.

Is it the needle which he reacts to, is there anyway he could be distracted. I realise this is fairly dangerous for all concerned. Is this the first time he has objected to a blood test?

Jeannette

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
Dear Jeannette,

I'm sorry too because I know you have a good heart. I am feeling very stressed and I apologise for my replies, but really I was venting and you were there. I just want to do the right thing for my dad, because unlike other people on this site he has been the most wonderful dad I could ever have had. I miss him. I still love him. But he has gone.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Wildflower, don't worry, you are amongst people who understand your frustration. we all snap sometimes.