Feeling guilty

Val3

Aug 10, 2008
My Dad had a stroke in March this year, a week before this I had just found out he had vascular dementia although I had suspected this for several years before. I was told by the consultant he was going to write to his GP to advise he should take asprin but now feel maybe I should have given him it before his GP gave tbe authority to do so. Maybe I could have prevented him having a stroke.
I have now had to make the decision, along with my brothers, at Social Services and the Hospital's advice to put my Dad in a nursing home. Somewhere he never wanted to go and again I have guilt for this.
Clearing out his house has been a nightmare, I feel so bad going behind his back getting rid of his possessions. We felt the kindest thing was to say he was having convalesence as we thought he would be too upset at the thought he was not not returning home.
Does this guilt ever go away?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The guilt will go away Val because there is no alternative . Your father needs full time care, you can`t leave his house abandoned and empty and you have made hard decisions in his best interest.

It does feel intrusive clearing out someone else`s house. I remember clearing out my mother`s and my neighbour`s. All the possessions they held dear, it`s so sad to see them go.

I hope you will be comforted by seeing your father receive the care he needs.

Love xx