Father needs care but won't consider care home or even at-home care

Ethelburga

Aug 20, 2017
Yorkshire
Didn't know private social workers exist.

Sounds very like the situation we were in with my aunt. I haven't found anyone on here who has taken the route we did so each time I mention it i fear being criticised.
We used an independent social worker - cost about £1000 in all but he did a lot. Initial meeting and report cost less than half that.
He advised on risk and on mental capacity - two separate issues. He could document the situation and advise on next steps.
When my aunt deteriorated and wouldn't cooperate with actions we took to help her, he confirmed she needed a care home. He found a lovely home with a dementia unit and the manager visited my aunt and confirmed they'd take her.
My aunt agreed to let our SW take her in for 2 weeks respite. To be honest I don't think she'd have agreed on the day. A week before, she had another fall and spent 2 nights in hospital. The SW arranged for her to enter care home 4 days earlier than planned. When he arrived at the hospital she was happy to leave with him and happy in the car. She was upset when they arrived at the care home but he stayed with her for several hours until she was settled.
We still marvel at how much he helped us.

Just a thought - do you have Power of Attorney? My sister has Health and welfare, I have Legal and financial, which was a great help.

That is so interesting. How do you find a private social worker?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I agree with shedrech and moggymad - make it a stipulation for her returning - Id say all 3 visits too as this is the maximum that SS will provide at home and they wont consider a care home until this maximum has been tried and failed. When you deal with SS, unfortunately you have to play the system and now that they are so cash-strapped they make you go through more hoops.

BTW, when you say that you will have to pay for the carers, has your dad had a financial assessment? The house will be disregarded as an asset and only 50% of joint savings will be considered his. If you are just looking at his saving does he have less than £23,000? If so, the Local Authority will put money towards the bill (exactly how much depends on his savings).

ppm

Jun 10, 2014
So the social worker has got back to me, after I chased her up earlier. Having sent her details of my father's financials yesterday, she said that since this would need to be self-funded I should contact the relevant care agencies directly to arrange care. When I raised the short-term problem/risk of my mother being back in the same house she suggested I ask them about a live-in carer, or alternatively to contact a respite home.

She attached contact details for ADSS, a copy of her report, and a leaflet on how to fund yourself in residential and nursing care.

So it looks like the social services recommendation is to "go private".

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
ppm, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I can't help with advice re: social services and funding and so forth, but the UK experts here are a good resource for that.

I am sorry if this is upsetting, but I wanted to say that should your mother return to live with your father, that for her own safety, I would recommend that she always have a charged mobile phone on her person, and a safe place to go in the house--a room with a strong door and a lock. That way, she can lock herself in and call the police if she is physically threatened, or call for medical help if needed (for your father and/or herself).

Again, apologies if that's distressing, but it's advice I have seen here on TP more than once, and it is smart to consider safety.

Best wishes to you and your family, and I hope you're able to find a solution without having to wait for a crisis.

ppm

Jun 10, 2014
ppm, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I can't help with advice re: social services and funding and so forth, but the UK experts here are a good resource for that.

I am sorry if this is upsetting, but I wanted to say that should your mother return to live with your father, that for her own safety, I would recommend that she always have a charged mobile phone on her person, and a safe place to go in the house--a room with a strong door and a lock. That way, she can lock herself in and call the police if she is physically threatened, or call for medical help if needed (for your father and/or herself).

Again, apologies if that's distressing, but it's advice I have seen here on TP more than once, and it is smart to consider safety.

Best wishes to you and your family, and I hope you're able to find a solution without having to wait for a crisis.

Thanks for that Amy. Yes I've had a long chat with her about what to do if the situation looks like arising again, and what she might do to help avoid it happening again. She has a mobile phone, and will be equipped with a pendant alarm with telephone connectivity. Fortunately she is more mobile than my father, so can escape to a safe place (e.g. locked room) to make a call.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
PPM,

You now have had the green light to go private. It means there can be no arguments further down the line with the various professions.

It would be worth you while doing research into care homes as they can and do vary enormously. Also, respite may end in permanency. My research for Mother showed care home charges ranging, for the good ones, from £600 a week to £2000 starters for dementia care. My inclination is to go for the ones who also take Council funded residents as, and I may very well be wrong, they will be under tighter observation. But that may well be my learning curve.:D

As a note, the really expensive one looked good initially. A year down the line it was looking frayed round the edges in terms of the fabric of the home and, more worryingly, the care. It was failed soon after by CQC. New manager later the costs had shot up and their policy had always been never to take Council funded residents.

It is a lot of research. However, the work will pay off with fewer headaches in the long run.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi ppm
So it looks like the social services recommendation is to "go private".
it's not so much that as DIY - there are very few LA run services anywhere, most are tendered out to private companies - occasionally, the LA will broker the home care service for you, but some now charge for this service - the LA only begin to part fund and start to set their own parameters when the person's assets fall below £23250
self-funders are pretty much left to get on with making arrangements themselves

this is a link to the main AS site's listings of local services
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20011/find_support_near_you?_ga=2.181278753.721471181.1503062667-213745934.1462100281#!/search
the CQC site
https://www.cqc.org.uk/
and
http://www.housingcare.org/index.aspx
and
https://www.carehome.co.uk/care_search.cfm
and
Selecting a care home (476)

PS
if POAs aren't in place for both your parents, arrange those asap - if your father is resistant say everyone is doing them, maybe even fill in documents for yourself and have him as one of your Attorneys, you can then jettison those documents - and they can be Attorneys for each other, just make sure there is at least one other Attorney for both, to act jointly and severally, and also a named replacement

Last edited: