Struggling with coming back to an empty house

Bill mac

May 10, 2020
Hello everyone not been on for while. 12 months this week since my wife went into care, when i visit she still knows me but no conversation now , i am really feeling down now coming back to an empty house, have joined carers club which are great while you are there, our 49 years anniversary this coming week , i feel so down not like . just feel what is the point of going on, sorry for talking like this but this feeling has been growing for months

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s tough and lonely @Bill mac and those of us who have been where you are now know how it is.

Do you have family who can support you or good friends? Perhaps your doctor could help with medication to see you through this really upsetting time.

Meanwhile until you can get an appointment please don’t hesitate to phone the Samaritans

116 123

Bill mac

May 10, 2020
It`s tough and lonely @Bill mac and those of us who have been where you are now know how it is.

Do you have family who can support you or good friends? Perhaps your doctor could help with medication to see you through this really upsetting time.

Meanwhile until you can get an appointment please don’t hesitate to phone the Samaritans

Bill mac

May 10, 2020
Thanks Grannie G i have 2 sons usual no contact unless they want something, just need a kick up the backside, i know i will not do something silly ,just this empty feeling i have, i really don't think people understand how your loved one's dementia effects you unless they have been touch by the illness . don't worry tomorrow is another day and i will get there .Thanks for your reply take care.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank goodness @Bill mac you had me worried

It`s an awful position to be in

What saw me through was this forum and reminding myself it could have been me.

I would have hated my husband to have had to be my carer and because he was the one who was ill I felt I owed it to him to do my best for him and speak for him when he couldn’t speak for himself

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
Thanks Grannie G i have 2 sons usual no contact unless they want something, just need a kick up the backside, i know i will not do something silly ,just this empty feeling i have, i really don't think people understand how your loved one's dementia effects you unless they have been touch by the illness . don't worry tomorrow is another day and i will get there .Thanks for your reply take care.
Hello Bill Mac. My wife went into care in 2019, didn’t know me, little or no conversation. She passed away last September.

I really know what it’s like coming home to an empty home where many memories were shared.
Being open to it all helped me. I still have a counsellor who’s known me since the beginning and I highly recommend considering one if you think it could help talking it through.

Dementia is cruel, dirty, and degrading. I think it’s one of the worse things. Many here will agree. It takes a loving person and changes their whole personality and we’re left to pick up the pieces.

I don’t believe in being stoic about it all. I’ve cried buckets over all of this and will alway love my wife even at her dementia worse.

Keep posting mate. We’re here whatever

Peter

Carer23

Oct 2, 2023
Hello everyone not been on for while. 12 months this week since my wife went into care, when i visit she still knows me but no conversation now , i am really feeling down now coming back to an empty house, have joined carers club which are great while you are there, our 49 years anniversary this coming week , i feel so down not like . just feel what is the point of going on, sorry for talking like this but this feeling has been growing for months
So sorry your feeling down, ask the care home to do a tea party for you both invite family and play some tunes she always knows your there play her favourite sounds sending love and care were all with you so hard when our loved ones are diagnosed with Dementia

Bill mac

May 10, 2020
Hello Bill Mac. My wife went into care in 2019, didn’t know me, little or no conversation. She passed away last September.

I really know what it’s like coming home to an empty home where many memories were shared.
Being open to it all helped me. I still have a counsellor who’s known me since the beginning and I highly recommend considering one if you think it could help talking it through.

Dementia is cruel, dirty, and degrading. I think it’s one of the worse things. Many here will agree. It takes a loving person and changes their whole personality and we’re left to pick up the pieces.

I don’t believe in being stoic about it all. I’ve cried buckets over all of this and will alway love my wife even at her dementia worse.

Keep posting mate. We’re here whatever

Peter
Thanks Peter, feeling a bit better today had a good laugh at the home today they had a ST. Patricks day party yesterday my wife was dressed up in an Irish costume ginger beard ,hats the lot dancing with two tambourines and music in the back ground really funny and i was glad to see her enjoying the party. although she could not remember yesterday when she was shown the photographs ,but at least it was good to see her enjoying the moment.