Family and friends in care homes: 2 week isolation period?

LERF2020

Feb 11, 2020
Hi there,

My name is Bertie, I'm a 27 year old who (along with my sister) has been caring for our father who has suffered with early-onset dementia for several years now.

I have been looking into the two week isolation period for residents that has just been scrapped by the Gov. for 'low-risk' visits. This is obviously very welcome news, as I for one can't imagine my own father having to undergo two weeks of isolation when he is as ill as he is. I'm sure this rings true with most on this forum too.

However, the rule does still exist for those who have been in hospital. I was wondering if there was anybody in the community who had something to say on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I can see this issue from both sides. On the one hand, it is very hard on our relatives with dementia to be expected to isolate whenever they have been in hospital, they probably don’t understand what is happening and get quite agitated as my mum did. But, on the other hand, I want my mum protected from catching Covid and there is a high incidence of it being transmitted in hospital settings. So the idea of residents who have just been discharged from hospital mixing with everyone else me. Even if a test is done before discharge, I’m sure there is still an incubation period before test results are deemed accurate - hence taking two tests several days apart if in hotel quarantine.

My view is biased as my mum has repeatedly refused to have the vaccination which puts her at risk which we just have to accept but obviously are still worried about transmission.

I don’t have an answer I’m afraid.

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
I cannot imagine how distressing it must be for a person with advanced dementia to be kept in isolation for 14 days.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi @LERF2020
Sorry to hear about your dad, it must be difficult for you and your sister to support him when you are so young.
My mum is in a lovely care home where she is well looked after. Unfortunately she, and all the other residents had to isolate for 14 days on 3 separate occasions between October and December due to staff testing positive.
This had a huge negative impact on her mental wellbeing. She has dementia so not able to read a book, complete a puzzle, follow a TVs programme etc. She was basically confined to her bedroom in "solitary confinement", a punishment in prison. I imagine we would all struggle with isolation, but for someone with dementia, who can't understand why they can't leave their room it must be absolutely horrendous.
Mum has also been in hospital twice and had to isolate on her return.
I feel that now all residents and staff have been vaccinated twice ( or been offered this), then they are very well protected from being infected themselves, and also less likely to transmit infection. We also now have testing , so bearing this in mind I believe the isolation is not proportionate to the risk of being infected. Government needs to balance protecting physical and mental health.
If you are in need of support with visiting restrictions, isolation etc you will find lots of help on John's Campaign and Rights for Residents. You can google these and they have Facebook groups too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5