False Promises? Is Martin Reilly a fake? Has anyone tried his proramme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RupeGW

Nov 26, 2012
Colchester
Hi everyone,

My mum is 81 and has had an Alzheimer's diagnosis for about 4 years, she still lives alone and has daily carers going in to see her and my brother visits daily either on his way to or from work. We have POA for her health and financial affairs and I plan on her coming to live with myslf and my partner in the south of France in our new "old" house. I'm sure a healthier diet will be a help when she gets here, as she eats a lot of pre-prepared ready meals, fruit, toast and chocolate biscuits!

So in readiness for her arrival I've been doing some research and stumbled across the link link below. People always say if it seems to good to be true it probably is. The guy, probably an actor, claims to have found a dietary cure for ALzheimers with coconut oil + other spices/foodstuffs from Ballabgah in India. He includes just about enough "credible" sources of info to sound more legitimate, but I don't want to embark down a route of false hope. It's very US-centric and follows the typical "risk-free" and money back guarantees approach that many shopping channels adopt.

I wanted to share the link to his video, but am unable to do that on this forum post. If you type "memory repair protocol recipes" into Google you will find his website.

Is it true/credible? I am deeply scpetical, but don't want to ignore it if it could be true. Also on the flipside, if it's fake it'd probably be good to let people know too.

Lastly if it's fake, does anyone have experience of "good" brain health diets - rich in omega fatty acids etc. - that have helped?

Many thanks
Rupert

Last edited:

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
When we first suspected that my wife had dementia (around 2013), there was a lot of articles about the benefits of taking coconut oil to combat the disease.

It was suggested that you put some (in it's solid state) on breakfast serial, so I bought some jars of it from our local health food shop. My wife didn't seem to mind it on her weetabix so for 6 months or so, we tried it.

You guessed it - not a scrap of difference, despite the "tales" of dramatic improvements, spouted by "experts" and celebrities.

But then, you'll try anything.

Good luck with the move.
Phil

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've never heard of him. If this was so effective, don't you think we'd all be doing it?

A good diet might be part of trying to avoid dementia (though genes also play a role) but once you have it, you have it, and no amount of eating well will make a difference. It's not like diabetes where you can control your blood sugar levels by what and how much you eat. In actual fact, taste buds in people with dementia change and they often crave sweet things. You might have trouble getting them to eat healthy stuff at all and at one point might have to decide it's better for them to eat biscuits than nothing at all.

So yes you are right to be sceptical. He is selling a cure to desperate people when at present there is no cure.

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Welcome to Talking point, RupeGW.

My late husband had qualifications in (among other things) naturopathy, herbalism, and various other natural/complementary therapies. He had been a writer, a lifelong scholar, a world traveller and spoke several languages fluently. He was a firm believer in the "mediterranean diet" . Lots of olive oil and olives, fresh veg, etc. Yet, he got Alzheimer's Disease.

Shortly after he was diagnosed, knowing his interests in such things, his doctor (also interested in complementary and natural medicine), suggested we try coconut oil. So we did. It made no difference at all. My husband also tried high doses of B Vitamins, and for the first time in his life, started drinking several cups of coffee per day. His Alzheimer's disease marched forward relentlessly.

I do believe what people with Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia do best on is routine and sameness. Changes in routine, atmosphere or surroundings, such as holidays, trips to hospital, etc. etc. can have a very detrimental effect on their condition, seeming to accelerate the progression of their illness. So, in all honesty, I have to say I would be hesitant about moving your mum from where everything is familiar to her, to your home in France. There may come a time when you just won't be able to manage, and she will need full time care. What would you do then? I understand that it's very difficult being so far away when she is ill. But I really would think carefully and see what other options are available to you.

ps. To echo what Beate has said about it being better to have a person eat biscuits than nothing at all. Eventually, with my husband, it was desserts and bananas. He would eat a banana in the morning. Nothing else. Then he would eat all the ice cream, mousses, etc. that he could get, but would not eat a meal. Foods he used to love, olives, houmus, feta cheese, tomatoes, roast beef, sweet potatoes, all were rejected. But his eyes would light up at the sight of anything sweet and gooey!

Last edited:

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
This is a very difficult subject for me personally.

Truthfully I believe that dementia can potentially be reversed but at present there is no evidence that anyone has been able to achieve it.

Sadly, taking advantage of the vulnerability of a terminal condition is not outside the scope of anyone and we would hope this is not the case.

Why do I think that dementia can be reversed?

This is because dementia is a diagnosis of symptoms rather than pathology. What is known is that many persons who have died without dementia also have the pathological changes that you would expect in dementia. Why did they not have the disease?

Could dementia be a biochemical disease?

What I mean is that although the pathology of the disease is known could the presentation of symptoms be more related to the biochemistry of the disease. In essence, although you have pathology only specific triggers in the biochemistry of the brain will cause the symptoms of the disease.

Why is that important?

This could indicate that if we were able to adjust the biochemistry slightly then the symptoms may disappear but the underlying pathology would remain. In truth we may be trying to live independently without the symptoms of dementia.
It would be like not being aware that we have cancer but dying of something else before the symptoms of cancer appeared.

This is a challenging subject but it requires some thinking outside the box in order to overcome. While I would not endorse the specific system at least they are trying.

Do not underestimate how powerful the collaborative efforts of individuals with a vested interest in overcoming a difficult problem could be.

It is not unreasonable for you to think and hope for something that could make a difference.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Many years ago, probably about 20, the in complimentary medicine was Gingko Biloba. It was recommended for my mother when she developed dementia.

We bought it for my mother and started to take it ourselves.

My husband developed dementia but so far I`m OK.

Who`s to say?

I`m suspicious though of anyone who claims a reversal or a cure. All I can accept is a delaying of the progression, which pharmaceutical medication does . Even then it doesn`t work for everyone as we know to our cost.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Many years ago, probably about 20, the in complimentary medicine was Gingko Biloba. It was recommended for my mother when she developed dementia.

We bought it for my mother and started to take it ourselves.

My husband developed dementia but so far I`m OK.

Who`s to say?

I`m suspicious though of anyone who claims a reversal or a cure. All I can accept is a delaying of the progression, which pharmaceutical medication does . Even then it doesn`t work for everyone as we know to our cost.

Gingko Biloba! That was another thing my husband tried. It gave him the most terrific headaches! So he had to stop taking it. I have a Gingko biloba tree in the garden that he planted. It's in the way, but I keep it, in a way I suppose as a sort of testament to how hard he fought his illness.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello RupeGW
personal opinion = too good to be true, except as a money maker for the 'creator' - wonder where all the profits will go? - probably not to the care of those with a diagnosis

your mum is eating, which is good, and the diet you describe isn't bad - if the ready meals are chosen carefully many are created to provide decent nutrition, backed up by the fruit she also eats - maybe just make sure your mum is getting enough fibre; the fruit and the biscuits will help there, maybe wholemeal bread? - drinking is a key issue, to keep hydrated and hopefully free from constipation - a healthy diet may make a little difference physically, but not to the Alzheimer's

I agree with LadyA that moving your mum to live with you sounds like a kind thing to do, but she has been diagnosed for a while and you haven't lived with her, so don't really know the extent of her care needs - it's a lot to ask of a partner to take someone with Alzheimer's into your home, have all your own routines altered and take on increasingly demanding care tasks
might you come over to live with your mum for a couple of weeks to see what life is like for her - sadly you may be in for a few surprises - it may be that even your brother who is on hand and sees her daily doesn't realise what happens in the house 24 hours a day - I had to do this for my dad, having thought that he was OK at night and during the hours I wasn't with him, I quickly saw that his nights were disturbed (so mine were) and really he needed 24 hour care which is very difficult to provide and have any life of your own
best wishes

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Snake Oil.....

Coconut oil; is now being condemned because of the high cholesterol links.There have been many many wonder supplements proposed over the years. ..... and then decried in due course.

Quite simply, the majority of cases of Dementia are random. Yes there are those linked to specific illnesses such as Parkinsons or Alcoholism or accidental damage to the brain , but no one knows why the majority of unrelated cases of Dementia come into being.

If using coconut oil, olive oil, sesame oil or Castor Oil makes you feel better, then go for it. But until there is strong, scientific proof I will not be backing their use.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Don't forget there are about 100 types of dementia. One possible cure will not fit all. I agree with what has been said, regularity and routine is important. The more 'challenges' there are, the worse it gets.
As good a diet as you can, but calories are important. OH lived for a while on fresh orange juice and dark chocolate. He did lose weight, but it was all he would eat. After he started eating a bit more he would always be seduced with a dark chocolate digestive!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was a firm believer in alternative medicines and alternative practices.

In addition to Gingko Biloba, he took Ginseng, Brewers Yeast, Cod liver oil and Vitamins C and B Complex.

When he was diagnosed we spent a fortune with a Herbal Apothecary.

The only benefit for him was psychological.

I went along with it to help him feel something was being done.

When my grandfather had been sent home with inoperable cancer, he wanted medicine. In addition to the daily dose of morphine, the GP prescribed coloured water to be taken four times a day, to help him feel he was being cared for.
After each dose he said “ I feel better now.”

RupeGW

Nov 26, 2012
Colchester
Minimising confusion when moving home

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and feedback, it is pretty much what I was thinking but great to get your thoughts too.

So I now have another one for you, after speaking to a doctor and one of the Society's counsellors we are going to bring mum down to stay with us in the South of France at the end of September for a trial period to see how she (and we) all get on.

She's excited about it when we discuss it, and that seems like a genuine initial reaction, though afterwards she forgets what we've just talked about and agreed. We have a pool and she loves swimming (she'll be supervised), we have an allotment and she loves gardening, we've a very good natured dog, and she likes dogs, we plan to re-teach her French (which I have been told stimulates a different part of the brain and can help), she'll eat well and unlike her current sitation will have company all day. All of which we think are likely to outweigh the initial confusion and disorientation of the change.

BUT.

I'm still concerned about making things worse. So we are looking for any good ideas, tactics or suggestions any of you may have that worked for your loved ones and helped to minimse the confusion.

We already plan to:
1. Put pictures on her bedroom wall of me with a note saying where she is and what she's doing here
2. Bring down a few of her belongings from home that are familiar and cherished
3. Try to lay out her room in similar way to her bedroom at home
4. Provide lots of stimulation and activity per above
5. Have a carer, experienced in Altzheimer's, coming in for 4-5 hours a day to plan/do the actvities with her

But have you got any good ideas or suggestions? Thanks ever so much in advance!
Rupert

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
That all sounds very positive Rupe, and I think you're giving yourselves the best chance to make it work.

The one thing I have to say, though, is that dementia is extremely unpredictable, or often can be. One minute your mum might be excited about the trip, the next she might look at you and not know who you are.

Hopefully nothing like that will happen but just keep a small part of yourself ready for unexpected changes. They can come out of nowhere and be quite dramatic. It's also likely that, however well organised, the travel will be difficult and confusing for your mum, and it might take her a while to settle.

RupeGW

Nov 26, 2012
Colchester
That all sounds very positive Rupe, and I think you're giving yourselves the best chance to make it work.

The one thing I have to say, though, is that dementia is extremely unpredictable, or often can be. One minute your mum might be excited about the trip, the next she might look at you and not know who you are.

Hopefully nothing like that will happen but just keep a small part of yourself ready for unexpected changes. They can come out of nowhere and be quite dramatic. It's also likely that, however well organised, the travel will be difficult and confusing for your mum, and it might take her a while to settle.

Thanks Delphie, I've a friend joining me for the trip to help out if it gets tricky - that's the bit I'm worrying about the most and I think "expect the unexpected" is going to be the mantra for the next few weeks/months!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum was in early stage dementia (still making cup of tea, getting breakfast and a sandwich for lunch)when I was forced to move her into small sheltered extra care flat.

Whilst I realise she was on her own, whereas you will be with your mum, it took her a couple of weeks to know where her kitchen was if she couldn't see it, I would come in and if she was in the bedroom, she would tell me, I've got a kitchen, but I'm not sure where it is.

Once she was orientated, which took about a month, she was aware enough to say, I can't believe I couldn't remember where the kitchen is, the flat is so small, so expect teething problems that may settle.

With my mum, if I leave something written, she will read it over and over and keep it to hand, would writing down what is happening work.

I am not sure over stimulation is good for PWD, it can make them unsettled and anxious, so don't be too ambitious with activities and new experiences, take things slowly and at a pace your mum can cope with. My mum stopped wanting to go out for meals years before her dementia was diagnosed, and with hindsight there was too much going on for her to understand and take in. A quiet environment and a regular routine help a PWD thrive, anything too complex can cause distress and trying to get your mum to relearn French might be a step too far - please take it slowly - she might be responsive to this after she has settled in, which might take weeks or months.

GBH

Nov 14, 2017
Is there anywhere an objective analysis of Martin Reilly's assertions? A reference would be useful.

Zenta97

Feb 6, 2018
Welcome to Talking point, RupeGW.

My late husband had qualifications in (among other things) naturopathy, herbalism, and various other natural/complementary therapies. He had been a writer, a lifelong scholar, a world traveller and spoke several languages fluently. He was a firm believer in the "mediterranean diet" . Lots of olive oil and olives, fresh veg, etc. Yet, he got Alzheimer's Disease.

Hello

Actually I don't know much about Alzheimer, though I had some aquaintance suffering of it.
I just registered to comment about your husband being a scholar in "mediterranean diet".
I'm no expert in any kind of diet either, but some time ago I've got an idea, just like that, out of the blue, which I think it might be interesting enough, and therefore I shouldn't keep it for myself:

What if it isn't at all the "mediterranean" part of that wonderful diet?
It is not all over the mediterranean sea that people get so old and all that, but in volcanic areas. And those are: Greece (just think of Santorini), or Italy (Etna, Vesuv)

If this hypothesis has some value, then other volcanic areas should be also healthy. And indeed, all the places I thought about at the first moment, were like that: known for longevity of the inhabitants:
Japan, Alaska (Mt. Saint Helen), Hawaii, Iceland etc.
Now it's not my field of research and I have nothing more to say to it.
But maybe someone out there is intersted in this hypothesis.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello

Actually I don't know much about Alzheimer, though I had some aquaintance suffering of it.
I just registered to comment about your husband being a scholar in "mediterranean diet".
I'm no expert in any kind of diet either, but some time ago I've got an idea, just like that, out of the blue, which I think it might be interesting enough, and therefore I shouldn't keep it for myself:

What if it isn't at all the "mediterranean" part of that wonderful diet?
It is not all over the mediterranean sea that people get so old and all that, but in volcanic areas. And those are: Greece (just think of Santorini), or Italy (Etna, Vesuv)

If this hypothesis has some value, then other volcanic areas should be also healthy. And indeed, all the places I thought about at the first moment, were like that: known for longevity of the inhabitants:
Japan, Alaska (Mt. Saint Helen), Hawaii, Iceland etc.
Now it's not my field of research and I have nothing more to say to it.
But maybe someone out there is intersted in this hypothesis.

They may all be places where there is longevity, but that doesnt mean that they dont have dementia.
Japan in particular has a huge problem with the number of people who have dementia
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...eople-with-dementia-reported-missing-in-japan
(and many more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5