Experiencing early symptoms and need help. Regarding general anaesthetic

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Hi everyone. Iv not yet been diagnosed but im having some issues with memory, numbers, vision, spelling etc. All classic early symptoms.
The thing is i put myself forward to have elected surgery 2 years ago and only now have they offered me an appointment with a view to have the opp with a general anaesthetic on the 3rd of jan 18. Im worried about the affect this may have and realise it is my choice at the end of the day. But i was wondering if anyone has any advice as im thinking that it could only make me worse. My symptoms have got worse quite quickly this year.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
That is a general perception but with dad who was in moderate stage when he had a general anaesephetic for an op I and the care home staff did not see a worsening in the days/weeks following. As you say your symptons are worse than last year due to progression. I would probably think along the lines of will the operation that is needed give me a better quality of life now and if the answer is yes then it is a risk worth taking and perhaps talk over your concerns with the medics. Whatever you decide will be right for you and wish you all the best

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Get it done now if it's something that will have to be done eventually. My feeling is that while you still are able to understand and cope with what is happening then the better the chances you'll make a full recovery, It's more people in the later stages who have the problems, some of which relate to the general anaesthetic but many of which relate to the whole hospital experience which can be very confusing and disorientating for someone in the middle to later stages.
As I say if it's something that will have to be done at some point in the future better get it out of the way now where you're better able to cope.
K

Daisy pie

Nov 24, 2016
West Midlands
My Mom had to have a major operation in Febuary to remove part of her pancreas and her spleen due to cancer, she is at moderate stage now and I was really worried as I had also read about the effects of anesthetics, but she had to have it done.
She was not herself for a few days after the operation but she was back to her normal self after that and I would say this was more to do with having such a big operation rather than the anesthetic, she also had a anaesthetic recently for a biopsy and was fine with that one too.
As my Mom was so worried about having her operation the hospital allowed me to stay with her for the 5 days she was there to help and reassure her, perhaps you could have someone who could stay with you after the operation or when you go home if you feel it would benefit you, I agree with what the others have said about getting it done now if you can if the operation will help you, hope it all goes well for you.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Hi everyone. Iv not yet been diagnosed but im having some issues with memory, numbers, vision, spelling etc. All classic early symptoms.
The thing is i put myself forward to have elected surgery 2 years ago and only now have they offered me an appointment with a view to have the opp with a general anaesthetic on the 3rd of jan 18. Im worried about the affect this may have and realise it is my choice at the end of the day. But i was wondering if anyone has any advice as im thinking that it could only make me worse. My symptoms have got worse quite quickly this year.

Is an epidural possible? That's what I was told to always ask for my mother if she needed surgery. Last year she had a hip replacement and I explained about her dementia and asked. The consultant said he always uses epidurals in these situations
She was exactly the same after as before. She didn't even take long to recover and she was 97

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think it depends an awful lot on what this elective surgery is. In a couple of weeks I'm going to have surgery on my spine which is strictly speaking elective in that I could continue with the conservative treatment I havebeen having which might, in a year or so, treat the problem. But I've been essentially flat on my back for the last 11 weeks, and I'm not prepared to continue to put my life on hold in this way.

If you don't have this surgery, how much is it going to impact your life in the future? Because while I think you can anticipate a down turn due to the surgery, I also think its quite reasonable from the studies I have read, that that downturn will be temporary.

Let's put it this way - I wouldn't have plastic surgery in your position, but I most certainly wouldhave a knee replacement (since failure to have one, and the reduced mobility from that failure) is likely to seriously impact you on the future.

I'm wondering - do you have access to an admiral nurse? I know surgeons can be (although notalways) a bit non empathetic when it comes down to costs and benefits of surgery. It would really be a good thing if you could talk to someone who had a firm grasp of not only the plus and minus of the surgery, but also dementia.

I think if you do decide to go ahead with this, you need to plan to have rather more support in place during your recovery than might normally be necessary. I don't have dementia and I have a husband to fetch and carry during my recovery but if I didn't, I'd seriously think about some kind of short term stay in a nursing home.

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
Hi Molly64.

Your observation regarding the risk of delirium and surgery is a known association and one that is not fully understood.

It is higher in those with dementia and mild cognitive impairment and should in theory be less with an epidural.

Prolonged surgery, episodes of low blood pressure during the procedure and general anaesthetic can increase the risk.

However I will share a secret that is not yet proven. The Post-Anaesthesia N-acetylcysteine Cognitive Evaluation (PANACEA) trial in Australia is ongoing and the formal results will be out in about 2019 which uses N-Acetylcysteine in the pre and perioperative period to try and reduce the risk of delirium.

It is not known if it makes a difference but the fact that the trial has has been completed (meaning they are waiting for 12 month follow up at this point) suggests that its use is at least safe.

The truth is that it is completely out of your hands and so no point worrying about it but consider walking to any supplement store and taking some in the days prior to surgery.

Also make sure that you are not constipated. A good clear out would be helpful:).

I am sure you will be fine.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH seemed OK. He had two stents in his legs, and a month later a femero-popliteal bypass on one leg. They think (!) he had a heart attack during the last procedure. I don’t think there were manyafter effects. Well, the wound got infected. Once the stitches came out, he would ask, what’s the scar on my leg? He was nearly in late stages though.

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Hi Molly64.

Your observation regarding the risk of delirium and surgery is a known association and one that is not fully understood.

It is higher in those with dementia and mild cognitive impairment and should in theory be less with an epidural.

Prolonged surgery, episodes of low blood pressure during the procedure and general anaesthetic can increase the risk.

However I will share a secret that is not yet proven. The Post-Anaesthesia N-acetylcysteine Cognitive Evaluation (PANACEA) trial in Australia is ongoing and the formal results will be out in about 2019 which uses N-Acetylcysteine in the pre and perioperative period to try and reduce the risk of delirium.

It is not known if it makes a difference but the fact that the trial has has been completed (meaning they are waiting for 12 month follow up at this point) suggests that its use is at least safe.

The truth is that it is completely out of your hands and so no point worrying about it but consider walking to any supplement store and taking some in the days prior to surgery.

Also make sure that you are not constipated. A good clear out would be helpful:).

I am sure you will be fine.
Thank you for your help. Iv asked to meet with the consultant again first. But i will look into your surgestion. Thanks

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to put it off till i know exactly what it is im dealing with. As in which type of dementia. In the mean time iv asked to see the consultant to discuss things but iv been told by his secretary that they do not do a spinal for this opp. Which is a rectal mesh by the way. Probably due to cost and time. Anyway thank you for your comments i do appreciate your feedback

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to put it off till i know exactly what it is im dealing with. As in which type of dementia. In the mean time iv asked to see the consultant to discuss things but iv been told by his secretary that they do not do a spinal for this opp. Which is a rectal mesh by the way. Probably due to cost and time. Anyway thank you for your comments i do appreciate your feedback
Hi Molly, I see you are Manchester based, could you ask to be referred re anaesthetic to the Department of Anaesthesia for an assessment, they can discuss types and possible effects, their website indicates they have clinics to see patients.

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Hi Molly, I see you are Manchester based, could you ask to be referred re anaesthetic to the Department of Anaesthesia for an assessment, they can discuss types and possible effects, their website indicates they have clinics to see patients.
Not sure about that but ill put a note on my letter from the MRI. As hopefully i will get to see the consultant soon and i will take the letter with me.. its hard work trying to sort out health stuff with no support. In fact ill ring mr currans secretary and run that by her.
Thanks.