End stage mom 7E on FACT scale - foam coming out of mouth

care 4 momma

Jan 28, 2017
I care for mom at home with Hospice help. I went to check on her after hearing her coughing and saw white foam coming down the side of her mouth. Her head was elevated which I always do an hour after I feed her. It was creepy to see. Is this normal??

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello care 4 momma

Is this normal??

I don`t know because it is out of my experience . Even so, I think it`s something which should really be discussed with your mum`s doctor.

Others might have seen something similar.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I agree, it's something that needs checking, in case your mum has aspirated something, in which case her swallow might need assessing.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I care for mom at home with Hospice help. I went to check on her after hearing her coughing and saw white foam coming down the side of her mouth. Her head was elevated which I always do an hour after I feed her. It was creepy to see. Is this normal??

No idea what would cause this, but does sound like something is happening in the throat. Ask the hospice nurse, presumably Admiral Nurse or from the actual Hospice?

Hats off to you caring for your Mum at stage 7e.
My Mum doesn't actually smile any more though she doesn't yet have that 'awful grimace', so still stage 7d and I know with all the attendant issues I definitely haven't the expertise to cope with all her needs. You're lucky too to get hospice help. I've been told my mother won't ever qualify. Or only in her final hours. Actually it wouldn't be for her so much, as for me to help me cope with seeing her at this stage.

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
stages ?

I see that you are mentioning stages 7E and 7D in this thread, I have no idea what stage my mum is at so is there a list of these stages somewhere that I can refer to ?? Many thanks

Rosegarden2

Feb 27, 2015
Coughing and straining

My husband is in the later stages of Alzheimer's and sometimes has difficulty with swallowing - though not all the time. He often gives up on a meal, or chews stuff and puts it out on the plate (or puts it in the waste paper basket where he thinks I won't see it!). After a meal he will often go into the toilet and make some awful coughing and straining noises, as though he's trying to get something out of his throat.
He's had all the tests there are, Xrays, an endoscopy, as well as various other tests. Doesn't seem to be anything blocking.
Does anyone else experienced this with their person with dementia?

Last edited:

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I see that you are mentioning stages 7E and 7D in this thread, I have no idea what stage my mum is at so is there a list of these stages somewhere that I can refer to ?? Many thanks

I'm sure there is a 'sticky' somewhere on this site. I'm not so used to using the 'search function' on here , but here is a link which I've used in the past.

https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/

However don't get too hung up on 'stages'. Dementia is truly a disease which has 'no normal'. Actuallly until the latter stages, which few people actually reach this model is more useful.
http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_stages_of_alzheimers.asp

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
However don't get too hung up on 'stages'. Dementia is truly a disease which has 'no normal'.
http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_stages_of_alzheimers.asp

I think this is excellent advice lemonjuice. The more I read on TP the clearer it is to me that everyone really is different. No two journeys are identical. I can very well understand why the OP is worried and is asking the question and I really hope that someone else will be able to offer an explanation, but it may not even be related to the 'stage'.

care 4 momma

Jan 28, 2017
No idea what would cause this, but does sound like something is happening in the throat. Ask the hospice nurse, presumably Admiral Nurse or from the actual Hospice?

Hats off to you caring for your Mum at stage 7e.
My Mum doesn't actually smile any more though she doesn't yet have that 'awful grimace', so still stage 7d and I know with all the attendant issues I definitely haven't the expertise to cope with all her needs. You're lucky too to get hospice help. I've been told my mother won't ever qualify. Or only in her final hours. Actually it wouldn't be for her so much, as for me to help me cope with seeing her at this stage.

Mom has been on Hospice for 2 years now, I'm from USA, the nurse said it was foam from her stomach acid. Mom has only her smile left, cant hold head up, so she switched 7e and 7f .

7c: Speed is lost.

7d: They’ll be unable to sit up independently.

7e: Grim facial movements replace smiles.

7f: They’ll no longer be able to hold their head up.

care 4 momma

Jan 28, 2017

7c: Speech is lost.

7d: They’ll be unable to sit up independently.

7e: Grim facial movements replace smiles.

7f: They’ll no longer be able to hold their head up.

SylviaB62

Jun 17, 2017
Is this the start of the end

Hi all I originally joined this group 7 years ago when I was in desperate need of support and met some good friendstuff who were going through the same stages. All their family members passed quite quickly once they had entered a care home. My mum has survived despite two really bad care home experience in her third home since August last year and this has made such a difference. However she is now not drinking or eating and referred for Salt assessment so I am guessing this is the start of the real end to this long goodbye. I know all cases are different but in trying to prepare myself for this stage am I right this is the final count down? I am lucky to have had mum for so long she is strong and has fought this everyear step unfortunately I am not with the same strength but need the facts

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi Sylvia,
I'm sorry that you are facing such difficult times with your mum. Has she been tried with thickened liquids/puréed food? Or is she refusing everything?
I suppose you will have to wait and see what the salt therapist and doctors say, but as I'm sure you know, sooner or later, this awful illness does take its toll. And, often, as a person's system starts to shut down, they stop eating and drinking; their body can't process food any more. Effectively, the person doesn't die because they've stopped eating and drinking, they've stopped eating and drinking because they are dying.
It's a very hard time to face. I do hope you have someone to support you?