emerdale farm

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
just seen to nights episode .was good but can not figer owt if the gentel man is a acter or has dementia

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
At least he's agreed to see the character through with the illness. Neighbours had a man with dementia who was due to go into a home but was killed the same day as the explosion so his story didn't develop. It does annoy me when soap characters have long term illnesses which suddenly clear up.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I find it difficult to watch as Mum doesn't know she has dementia and keeps getting upset and saying "Oh that poor man. It must be so dreadful for him". xx

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
I, like Tryingmybest, find it difficult to watch too as my Mum doesn't know she has AZ and says things like "Oh! that's a shame, I hope I never get that" it breaks my heart but I sit and watch it with her when I visit as it is her favourite programme.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I remember when Dhiren was home with me how I used to tense up whenever dementia was mentioned on television. Luckily for me, although he knew he had Alzheimer`s , he didn`t realise he had dementia.

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
Here in NZ we are about a month behind the UK in terms of episodes. So far I have found the portrayal of Ashley's Alzheimer's to be very sympathetic. Some programs really annoy me as it is obvious that the scriptwriters have no real depth of knowledge about the disease and seem to work on the common assumptions of Alzheimers (just plain forgetfulness, not all the myriad of other symptoms)

I love Emmerdale and as it is played after the midday news over here, it is on my taping schedule - just in case I don't get to watch it live :eek::eek::eek: