Ebixa (Memantine) medication for people with vascular dementia.

Love&Light

Jul 22, 2013
Can I ask if anyone has any advice/experience with regards to the benefits (or not) of Ebixa.

I understand that with V Dementia there is generally limited medication given, other that that needed for the physical cause eg: blood pressure etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Love & Light

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband (who has Alzheimer's) ) was taken off Exelon and put on Ebixa due to his decreasing score on the MMSE. He was on it it for a month with the dose increasing to full strength during this time. It seems to have not suited him at all. He became consumed with tiredness to the point where he could barely stay awake during the day. They advised me to cut back to half of the maximum dose but there was no change. In discussing with the piffle signals I decided to take him off it. By the following day he started to improve. I have to discuss this with the doctor at the memory clinic next week BT I don't think he'll be going back on it.

I have seen others on TP write about the benefits if Ebixa and it obviously suits some people well. I hope someone else comes along with a positive experience to share.

Dreamer111

Jun 13, 2013
Ebixa My husband has been taking Ebixa for 4 years and no side efffects.

Can I ask if anyone has any advice/experience with regards to the benefits (or not) of Ebixa.

I understand that with V Dementia there is generally limited medication given, other that that needed for the physical cause eg: blood pressure etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Love & Light

My husband has been taking Ebixa for 4 years after Elexon was stopped as it was slowing his heart and pulse rate. There have been no obvious side effects and the Doctor said while not improving things hopefully it is slowing down deterioration. I do not think it has but feel there is nothing left if we stop.

Love&Light

Jul 22, 2013
Thank You.

Thank you both for your updates, I am just considering any options that may support my partner Glyn and it is really helpful to get a variety of experiences to help me make an informed choice on his behalf.

This site is a real support.

L&L x

Wenrob

Nov 3, 2012
Hi there,

My mom has just completed the starter pack of these and is now on the 20mg once a day , she was given these to calm down her aggression and they have defiantly worked she is much happier now with no side effects.

Hope this helps xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Isn't it funny. Bill seems to be the only one I've come across on this site who has has a negative reaction to Ebixa.

Gabrielle-amie

Feb 3, 2011
My husband has been on Ebixa for a few years following a very bad skin reaction with Exelon. He seems calmer and we feel it has slowed the progress of the disease down, although the doctor says it won't stop it altogether. He does sleep a lot though, but generally feels well. He sometimes complains of giddiness but it doesn't seem too serious at the moment. All we can do is try and he was very happy to try it.