Early onset.

Prue

Apr 29, 2022
I am 65 yrs old, and have recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's after a lumber punch test.
I feel quite isolated as I have lost all my self confidence, no longer being able to trust my memory.
Is anyone else still feeling they can drive confidently ?
Does any one else feel ashamed of having Alzheimer's, it's not logical I know.
I am also frightened of the future...
I would love to hear your thoughts on the above.

kevi

Oct 27, 2021
hi Prue
i was diagnosed in october 2020 i am now 65 - i have also lost all self confidence - and short term memory is
getting worse - i drive ok if i know the route - but do not like driving out of my comfort zone now i do not feel
ashamed it is what i am - i do not feel frightened of the future but my wife is more worried - we cried a lot at the beginning but have had to come to terms with it - hope you are ok kevin

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Prue.

I’m so sorry to read about your diagnosis. As you can see from Kevi’s reply you will get understanding and support here.

I wondered if you find the Dementia guide helpful -

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Prue
A warm welcome to DTP

I'm sorry you are feeling isolated ... I hope joining this understanding and helpful community will be some support to you

A new diagnosis is a shock, maybe as the dust settles your confidence will grow ...

A diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean that you need to give up driving ... might you have a single driving lesson to hear what a 'professional' thinks of your driving, they may well have tips for you

Keep posting as members will listen and help

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @kevi
A warm welcome to posting on DTP
You and your wife sound to have a lovely partnership
I agree there is nothing to be ashamed over .... I never was of my dad, in fact I was proud of how he carried on .... life throws us challenges
Now you've started ... keep posting :)

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hello Prue, I'm sorry you have this diagnosis especially at a relatively young age. I don't have a diagnosis but have many of the symptoms of dementia. I find it frightening as I'm on my own and am worried for the future. . My memory loss is worsening and I too am losing what little confidence I had. I no longer drive to new places as I know I'll get lost. Do you have help and support at home? I know you will find this forum a great support. Wishing you all the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarySpindleberry