Early onset Alzheimer’s and housing

theeagle

Oct 4, 2021
Hello
I have a brother just been diagnosed with EOAD. He is 50. I am his only living relative available to help him but I live 200 miles away. He lives on his own and is divorced with two children. I also have a mother who has Parkinson’s and father who has cognitive decline, both in their 80’s. I also have another brother who lives with them who has special needs. I don’t live local to them either and it seems they will all be relying on me at some point in future.

Last edited:

theeagle

Oct 4, 2021
Hi, my brother is 50 and has just been diagnosed with EOAD. He is very young at heart very fit and active but is struggling with reading, writing, finances and tech use. He is about to sell his house as he has had to give up work and can’t afford mortgage. What options have people found for Alzheimer’s housing at this age? I live 200 miles from him and he lives on his own (divorced with children near by) . He hates the thought of being somewhere where everyone is over 70 right now (sorry!) . He just needs some thinking and memory help …. at the moment. Has anyone found decent sheltered/retirement properties take a younger person with AD? Or does he privately downsize and plan for visits /live-in care right away. It is unlikely he’ll get council paid housing because of the asset of his house sell. Trying to plan seems impossible as there are so many unknowns. Thanks for your input if you have any experience in this … early days but crisis’ happening so quickly.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @theeagle
a warm welcome to DTP

my you have a lot of plates spinning

I hope your parents are getting support from their Local Authority Adult Services

Your brother might look into Assisted Living places in his area, again by contacting his Local Authority

Admiral Nurses may be able to help; they have a helpline

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Interestingly, the care home where my mothers lived is shortly opening a new annex with 20 bedrooms for residents under the age of 65 with dementia. The care company, a not for profit company with 11 care homes in my area, have recognised a lack of provision for young people with dementia. It will be run like a supported living home, all bedrooms have en suite wet rooms and there is a communal lounge/dining area and kitchen. Meals will be brought over from the main kitchen but residents will prepare some meals or dishes.

I’m not sure how it will work out, it’s definitely a new venture and I wish them luck.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thats good to hear @Lynmax . My OH is now only just retirement age and it was hard enough to find somewhere when he had to go into respite. Most people seem to think dementia only affects old people