DVLA is threatening to take my mother to court for driving without a SORN despite she's been in a home for 2 years

davehhh1

Oct 1, 2022
Hi,
I am in the process of sorting my mother's property out for sale after getting COP order to sell it. Of course she still gets letters at her property and lives in a care home since November 2022.

Yesterday, I saw she had a letter from the DVLA saying she was seen driving last week in Somerset in her car some 300 miles away.

Issues with this. The car has a SORN, is rotting on her drive, battery dead, I have the key and of course she has no mental capacity and hasn't left her care home in almost two years.

I tried to call DVLA today but each extension is a dead end with no human, just a line to pay.

I guess I have to write a letter now. I can only assume her number plate has been duplicated or something so may call the police.

It's all very trying this. Last week she had a summons and threats of being taken to court for not responding to Jury service - this was easily rectified as she is 76 and was an not legible.

Any advice?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Goodness what a worry for you. I wonder if it would be best to phone the police and ask for their advice - as well as writhing your letter.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The number plate may have been misread . I received a parking fine from Bristol Council some years ago and I have never driven that far in my whole life. I spoke to our local police because I worried that my number plate had been cloned. They said they could check the local road cctv to prove I had been driving locally at the time in question and that the car hadn’t been picked up on the roads in between home and Bristol. Have a word with them and see what they advise.
I completed the form to say that it wasn’t my car they had ticketed and returned it to Bristol and didn’t have a problem afterwards. Of course that’s not DVLA!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I know of two cases where dirty number plates had been misread.
When images were provided it was an incorrect make of car.
The accusations were dropped.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Just tell them they are mistaken as your mother is in the care home and does not drive.

davehhh1

Oct 1, 2022
Thanks.

I have reported the incident to the police so I can put a crime ref on the letters to DVLA.

It's never ending this horrible disease. Oh she also has court action threatened for TV licence despite me telling them there's noone there.

Anyway one thing at a time it's just with all these things it slows me down selling the property to take care of her financial affairs that are in her best interests having to write letters like this.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I know! I found these annoyances just ramp up the stress levels when you’re wanting to get on with the more important side of caring.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can you get signed statements from a couple of neighbours that the car has been left unused on the drive for x years?
If so keep copies and send originals to DVLA.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
Hi,
I am in the process of sorting my mother's property out for sale after getting COP order to sell it. Of course she still gets letters at her property and lives in a care home since November 2022.

Yesterday, I saw she had a letter from the DVLA saying she was seen driving last week in Somerset in her car some 300 miles away.

Issues with this. The car has a SORN, is rotting on her drive, battery dead, I have the key and of course she has no mental capacity and hasn't left her care home in almost two years.

I tried to call DVLA today but each extension is a dead end with no human, just a line to pay.

I guess I have to write a letter now. I can only assume her number plate has been duplicated or something so may call the police.

It's all very trying this. Last week she had a summons and threats of being taken to court for not responding to Jury service - this was easily rectified as she is 76 and was an not legible.

Any advice?
Send photos of car in situ to DVLA

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I often wonder what these agencies would do if there was no one to manage this situation. Would they eventually let it drop or hound social services for the money. Why do we have to become financial and legal whizz kids to support our loved ones? I know there are no answers but I really feel for you @davehhh1 .

oldtiredcyclist

Dec 5, 2023
We have had a spate of number plate thefts in our village, which have then resulted in those plates being used by criminals to commit crimes in vehicles which will show up as yours.