Driving licence renewal

Ann Pateman

May 17, 2022
My 78 year old husband was diagnosed with mild dementia in May. He reported this to the DVLA, letting them know the consultant had written that he was competent to continue driving. He has had no response to this.
However, his licence is due to be renewed next month.
I haven't noticed any real deterioration in his driving skills. Can anyone give me an idea of what the procedure to renew his licence will involve please?
He has been discharged from the memory clinic into the care of our GP.
Thank you

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I know you probably have done this but have you tried phoning DVLA and asking for their response to his report.

This is the governments adivce -

This factsheet from the Alzheimer’s Society might be helpful -

My 78 year old husband was diagnosed with mild dementia in May. He reported this to the DVLA, letting them know the consultant had written that he was competent to continue driving. He has had no response to this.
However, his licence is due to be renewed next month.
I haven't noticed any real deterioration in his driving skills. Can anyone give me an idea of what the procedure to renew his licence will involve please?
He has been discharged from the memory clinic into the care of our GP.
Thank you
Hi Ann,
I was diagnosed 4 years ago and still drive. It sometimes takes the DVLA a while to respond - there is a massive backlog of work for them to plough through, but as long as your husband has applied he should be able to continue driving on his expired license. Check out this page for details https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
susan103