Downward step change progression

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
It seems that learned web sites and text books will describe the way that vascular dementia progresses downwards in steps, rather than a sustained slow and steady decline.

What I haven’t seen recorded is the step change progression in carer heartbreak that seems to accompany each change 😢😭

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
It seems that learned web sites and text books will describe the way that vascular dementia progresses downwards in steps, rather than a sustained slow and steady decline.

What I haven’t seen recorded is the step change progression in carer heartbreak that seems to accompany each change 😢😭
Because only the members of this forum can truly understand the heartbreak that dementia brings.
Take care of yourself @SherwoodSue and don't forget we are here for you.

LouiseW

Oct 18, 2021
Hi
It's so sad isn't it.

I also found it heartbreaking and exhausting because every time there is a decline - all your strategies stop working and you have to create a whole new set to suit the new issues.

Big hug xxx

Angelsoul

May 22, 2023
I'm assuming my mums mobility changes is a step down? Vascular/Alzeimers. Have just ordered a walker with seat. My mum has gone to London with her brother and sister for St Patricks parade. I had to go in morning to make sure she was suitably dressed. It seems she is struggling with trousers taking off / on. They have taken a portable chair.
I'm out shortly to celebrate..... looking forward to it....but looking forward more to tomorrow. My brother is with my mum. So so excited to have day off!!! Have told mine at home that I'm doing nothing tomorrow.
X

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
I think as carers we go through as many changes as the PWD if not more.

As @LouiseW says we have to find a whole new set of strategies.

Know that we are all here for you, its a tough road. :(

@Angelsoul I hope you got to enjoy your day! Its so important to get that time xx

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Hello peeps. There is no wax in mums ears. Hearing aids do work. Checked both. So I think that when mum increasingly says she can’t hear and follow our conversations or the TV that this is a dementia symptom?
Anyone experienced this please?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @SherwoodSue.

I have severe hearing loss. Hearing aids can't perfectly replicate sounds so even with aids you have to do a certain amount of decoding. You certainly have to work harder than people without hearing loss to keep engaged in conversations. I can only manage to be sociable for an hour or two before I need a break. If you add in dementia I can well imagine that your mum is getting more and more confused about things. My mum's hearing was excellent up until the day she died, but it became obvious as her dementia progressed that although she could follow one to one conversations, ones where several people were chipping in really confused her. We had an occupational therapist visit once and mum seemed to be following the conversation well. We were talking about jobs and the OT turned to mum and said 'what did you use to do?' Given the topic we'd been discussing I expected mum to talk about her job, but I could see she found the question too open ended and couldn't work out what to reply until I prompted her and then she was off with a few of her favourite work stories.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Thank you. I find your insight very helpful.
Now to get mums head around this …..
Mums solution is for me to take her hearing aid shopping to get aids which take her hearing back to what it was.
We can see that is unrealistic but mum …………..

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
My Mum also has AZ and started wearing hearing aids a few years ago - roughly about the time I was suspecting there might be a dementia problem (coincidence?). She wears them some of the time but not other times and they really don't seem to make much difference to her. She has lost 3 in the last year and I'm getting a bit embarrassed at the audiology clinic - but they are very kind. Mum's ears are also clear and the aids are working properly. What I have noticed though is that like Sarasa's Mum she struggles to follow a conversation with more than one person - she says she can't hear. She also really struggles to hear anything at all when she is stressed. So I'm assuming that this is a processing problem - too much overload for her poorly brain.
SherwoodSue - I'm assuming your Mum has had NHS aids? They are very good but if Mum insists on shopping for others then I think some companies do a free return deal if they don't suit. It might also be worth trying to speak to the audiologist prior to the appointment and let them know the situation.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
My Mum also has AZ and started wearing hearing aids a few years ago - roughly about the time I was suspecting there might be a dementia problem (coincidence?). She wears them some of the time but not other times and they really don't seem to make much difference to her. She has lost 3 in the last year and I'm getting a bit embarrassed at the audiology clinic - but they are very kind. Mum's ears are also clear and the aids are working properly. What I have noticed though is that like Sarasa's Mum she struggles to follow a conversation with more than one person - she says she can't hear. She also really struggles to hear anything at all when she is stressed. So I'm assuming that this is a processing problem - too much overload for her poorly brain.
SherwoodSue - I'm assuming your Mum has had NHS aids? They are very good but if Mum insists on shopping for others then I think some companies do a free return deal if they don't suit. It might also be worth trying to speak to the audiologist prior to the appointment and let them know the situation.
Thank you.