Does anyone know

Martarita

May 11, 2018
Please can anyone tell me if a head cold can make things worse, my OH has had a bad head cold for a long time now , and things seem to be getting a little worse with his speech ,all I seem to be doing when talking to him is repeating myself and explaining thing in great detail ,I've been worrying about this could it be having cold or could it be the dementia that's progressing, xx

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi I’m sure any illness can make symptoms worse. Last week I was advised to have a flu jab after my diagnosis in March as it could make things worse.
I do hope things get better soon for you both.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think any type of infection or illness can make a person with dementia worse. Perhaps it's worth getting your husband checked out at the GP in case it's more than a cold, especially if he's had it a long time.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
The last few times my dad (72 with Alzheimer’s) has had a cold he has been really lethargic and unable to sit up in his chair. It always seems to go to his chest since he is no longer mobile but a couple of days in bed and some antibiotics seem to have transformed him back to himself.
I would definitely get OH checked over by a Dr, x

Martarita

May 11, 2018
I think any type of infection or illness can make a person with dementia worse. Perhaps it's worth getting your husband checked out at the GP in case it's more than a cold, especially if he's had it a long time.
I've tried with the doctors but he won't go he says it's only a cold . He wouldn't go for the flu jab ,I think what's worrying me is that at the beginning of June he started being poorly,couldn't speak couldn't walk we finished up at A&E he was diagnosed with pneumonia but he won't listen about going to the doctors he's not poorly with it but It still worrys me i don't know what to do about it .Thank you for your reply.x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Maybe get something from your local pharmacist.

We're in Cyprus for a long holiday and the drugs may be different here but when my wife had a persistent chesty cough and sniffle that was making her worse I was able to get something from the pharmacy that settled her quickly.

Martarita

May 11, 2018
Maybe get something from your local pharmacist.

We're in Cyprus for a long holiday and the drugs may be different here but when my wife had a persistent chesty cough and sniffle that was making her worse I was able to get something from the pharmacy that settled her quickly.
Hi karaoke Pete would I tell the pharmacist his symptoms and about the dementia, because he's adamant the he's not going to the doctors .xx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi karaoke Pete would I tell the pharmacist his symptoms and about the dementia, because he's adamant the he's not going to the doctors .xx
Yes, I believe in giving the fullest possible picture. Good luck - I know only too well the difficulty of dealing with a person with dementia.

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
It's been my experience that the body can fight off one infection/illness at a time, when there is more than one involved it gets a bit complex. If his cold doesn't seem to be getting better try to take him to a doctor or at best call his doctor and let him know.

Martarita

May 11, 2018
It's been my experience that the body can fight off one infection/illness at a time, when there is more than one involved it gets a bit complex. If his cold doesn't seem to be getting better try to take him to a doctor or at best call his doctor and let him know.
Thank you dancer12 , if it doesn't seem any better over the weekend then that's what I'm going to do ,he can be so stubborn sometimes .xx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
A cold can definitely make things worse. An infection does as well, and often a great deal worse, and maybe also behavioral changes. Also watch out for dehydration.

Could you make an appointment and take him? Don't say it's for him, say it's for you and then the doctor could maybe "just check him over as you're both here so the paperwork will all be in order" or some such? Would the GP work with you on that? Only you do sound worried and if he was like this once before with an infection/more serious illness then I don't wonder you ate concerned.

Hope you can get some help.

Martarita

May 11, 2018
A cold can definitely make things worse. An infection does as well, and often a great deal worse, and maybe also behavioral changes. Also watch out for dehydration.

Could you make an appointment and take him? Don't say it's for him, say it's for you and then the doctor could maybe "just check him over as you're both here so the paperwork will all be in order" or some such? Would the GP work with you on that? Only you do sound worried and if he was like this once before with an infection/more serious illness then I don't wonder you ate concerned.

Hope you can get some help.
Hi Amy ,you're right about the dehydration It could be a problem like every PWD he forgets to drink ,I have to keep reminding him that I've made him drinks through out the day reminding him to drink it ,but if he's no better after weekend we will be going to see the doctor by hook or by crook.thank you for your help and advice. Take care xx