Does Anyone Feel Forgotten ?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

I keep hearing about how we should all make Xmas gatherings as small as possible because of Covid but I've found it difficult not to shout at the TV because there is not a single mention of people suffering from dementia and their carers. I just want to say that I will be thinking of you all and once again we have been forgotten.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
its the same about bubbles as only single people can join another household in a bubble. if in couple need to stay separated when need other people

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
There were times when I felt lonely as a carer but now that dad has been dead for eighteen months I can't begin to imagine what it's like caring for a dementia sufferer at this time so on Xmas day I shall be thinking of you all.

MaNaAk

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
its the same about bubbles as only single people can join another household in a bubble. if in couple need to stay separated when need other people
Check the current Government rules on their website as they changed to definition of a support bubble recently to allow couples to both form a support bubble, for example to support a family with a child under the age of 12 months. I think it also includes situations where someone is a Carer for their partner so they too can form a support bubble with someone else.

I am not totally sure of all the new groups as I am no longer caring for Mum but I know when I first read it that I thought many more households would be covered.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Check the current Government rules on their website as they changed to definition of a support bubble recently to allow couples to both form a support bubble, for example to support a family with a child under the age of 12 months. I think it also includes situations where someone is a Carer for their partner so they too can form a support bubble with someone else.

I am not totally sure of all the new groups as I am no longer caring for Mum but I know when I first read it that I thought many more households would be covered.
thanks lynmax, i have just read the update to support bubbles on gvt website. didnt realise the rules have changed.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If there is only one carer in the household they can be in a bubble, anybody cared for cannot.
  • you are the only adult in your household who does not need continuous care as a result of a disability
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-...other-household#who-can-make-a-support-bubble .
So how does that work then?
It sounds like Im intended to leave OH at home and join a support bubble in their home. OK if you can leave them, I suppose, but then they wouldnt need continuous care.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
OH could be cared for by a carer who is not a member of your household when you go bubbling.
It allows you to have some 'me time' outside of your house.
@canary

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Don't forget that there is still an exemption from restrictions for someone to visit you "to provide care or assistance to someone vulnerable or to provide respite for a carer"

This guidance is entirely separate to the support bubble guidance.

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
I am the only member of my bubble for more than 9 months now. At least there are no arguments.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Don't forget that there is still an exemption from restrictions for someone to visit you "to provide care or assistance to someone vulnerable or to provide respite for a carer"

This guidance is entirely separate to the support bubble guidance.
thanks louise7 thats more helpful

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
at christmas they are easing off restrictions for all tiers but are fast back pedaling telling people to be cautious and restrict people which is stupid. and they are leaving right to last minute to say what schools are going to open. primary will open but secondary schools are being phased in on the day school breaks up. my son is a secondary teacher and in tier 3.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Think there are an aweful lot of people being 'left out'

Spoke to my friend today- all she wants for christmas is to hug her profoundly autistic son, who lives in a residential placement, her only child- who she hasn't touched since March

Susan Rouse

Mar 14, 2018
Hello Everyone.

I keep hearing about how we should all make Xmas gatherings as small as possible because of Covid but I've found it difficult not to shout at the TV because there is not a single mention of people suffering from dementia and their carers. I just want to say that I will be thinking of you all and once again we have been forgotten.

MaNaAk
I couldn’t agree more. I think this omission states exactly where dementia is on the agenda, which in my view is an utter disgrace. As for carers, do we even exist? Dementia is exactly where Cancer was 30 years ago - that disease no-one spoke of because it was everyone’s worst nightmare. That even by talking about it hallowed whispers might make the risk of getting it more likely. In the meantime both sufferers and carers continue to get a very rum deal. Can’t think of another disease that is treated quite so dreadfully by those who should know better. I will be thinking of you too ......good to find a kindred spirit.