Do you know of a freezer without lights on the front?

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
I'm looking for an under-counter freezer for my dad, the Demon Unplugger. His current one has several lights on the front, plus a rotary dial to control the temperature. He kept turning it all the way down, so the food would spoil. We have had to stop using the freezer, which makes the carers' life harder.

Does anyone know of a current model of under-counter freezer (standard 600 mm width) where all the lights and controls are hidden, either behind a panel or perhaps inside the cabinet? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @prodigal-son
you've probably tried this
I found with my dad that if I covered over and lights and switches with something white (tape, cardboard ... anything really, I didn't buy specific gadgets) he didn't seem to notice them so left them alone ... so TV standby light was covered and he stopped unplugging it, sockets were covered and he left those alone

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
Thanks @Shedrech ! I did try gaffer tape over the front and that worked for a while, but eventually it got pulled off. I don't want to risk it again!

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
@Louise7 Wonderful! You promise absolutely no lights? (I can see the dial inside). That seems to be a narrow (500 mm) one, but I'll look for a standard-width version.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Yes, same as Shedrech, mums bungalow is covered with duck tape , gaffer tape, electrical tape.
The lights on the internet router, and other items are all covered.
a very small circle of tape can cover the power light completely.
Gang leads put in boxes.
i have made covers so essential items can not be unplugged.
could you set the temperature where you want it then superglue a white plastic cover over the top, so it is on that setting for all time?
If she gets smart to the tape I will use aerosol paint and a stencil!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Louise7 Wonderful! You promise absolutely no lights? (I can see the dial inside). That seems to be a narrow (500 mm) one, but I'll look for a standard-width version.

No, definitely no lights, in fact I chose it because it had an almost old fashioned 'retro' look. You'll probably find something similar in a larger size, although we found that although slightly smaller than the freezer it replaced the 500mm one was fine for someone living on their own.

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
@Weasell you're as cunning as your namesake! I did try a "child-proof" plastic box to cover a socket, but it wasn't Dad-proof. And I don't live close, so serious DIY is tricky – always so many other tasks during my infrequent visits. I did think of taking the control panel apart and bypassing the controls, but that requires some care…

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
What seems to have worked with mum is white insulating tape as it looks like part of the appliance.

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
@Louise7 Thanks so much. The narrow one would be fine as far as capacity goes but I just didn't want a big gap next to it. I'm not convinced about the full-width version of the Hoover freezer (the manual shows the lights in a different place), but Currys do a bog-standard freezer that looks as if it has no lights. Clearly I need to visit the shops, but I thought it might be a fruitless search. Thanks to you I now know it shouldn't be.

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
What seems to have worked with mum is white insulating tape as it looks like part of the appliance.

This is clearly a common problem. Trouble is, my dad's a bigger fiddler than most. He has not yet discovered the hidden shutoff valve for the gas cooker, though…

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5