Do I have early-onset dementia?

lornahmcc

Sep 14, 2017
I'm nearly 52 and for about the last 6 months I've been concerned that I may have early onset dementia.

What makes me think this is: (1) I don't like working on problem-solving activities any more (I used to love these) eg. structuring, writing and delivering a public talk, writing a report (2) I deliberately devote too much of my time on simple (albeit necessary tasks) eg. arranging meetings (3) I'll talk myself out of doing anything that seems too hard eg. working out what healthy foods to buy for dinner (4) I'm happy to go along with whatever my husband tells me as I find it easier to go with the flow than think and articulate why this might/might not suit me (5) A lot of my day to day activities are taking me longer to finish eg. getting prepared for work the following day

I did take a test at the doctors over 6 months ago (what's the name of the prime minister etc) and the results showed there was nothing wrong with me.

What I've got in my head is there may be other symptoms dementia sufferers can display first that other people wouldn't necessarily notice.

For info, my dad has dementia and I'm also going through the menopause.

Any help, guidance would be very much appreciated

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I sorry you're having this worry. Go back to your doctor. Memory tests on their own don't always provide a diagnosis. He should do a blood test or refer you to the Memory Clinic. Blood tests could reveal vitamin deficiencies or thyroid problems etc - it does not have to be dementia.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Lornahmcc and welcome to the forum.

Your memory test, though a simple one with the doctor has given no cause for concern but like most of us on the forum you worry because you have a family connection.

The symptoms you have will ring a bell with most women who are going through the menapause. Your body is experiencing the passing of time and as my mother once said to me, bits of you are redundant and that’s not a nice feeling.

Please have a chat with your doctor, tell him your thoughts on dementia and what you are experiencing health wise. I will say don’t worry too much but I know in all of us who have cared for someone with dementia the thought is there that we too might suffer the disease. Take care and keep posting, lots of help and support here from our lovely members.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
...And has anything changed at work...is it more stressful now than it was and your work related changes are caused by that rather than the other way round? Changes to our hormones etc during menopause can also affect the way we feel and deal with things. Back to the gp I would say as the changes are obviously worrying you.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
I am not a doctor, so my opinion is not medically reliable.
If a friend listed me symptoms like yours, I would not think they might have dementia, but I would think they are anxious and depressed.

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
I had similar when going through the menopause, remember clearly not being able to remember the words for the car sun roof, and driving up a local road and feeling lost... turns out to have been exhaustion. But thyroid, Urine infection, stress ... so many things this could be. Go to your GP for an MOT, blood tests the lot, and keep a diary. Try some Mindfulness, there's loads of books and apps...

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Lornahmcc not sure I can answer your query but as I have been down this path myself maybe a bit of guidance, I was asked by my GP if I would see a memory clinic Psychiatrist in 1999 I was 57 at that time he diagnosed me with Mild Alzheimer’s obviously I thought it was rubbish and did not accept the diagnoses but continued having monthly appointments for various test most of which I did very well how every my Psychiatrist moved abroad in 2002 and I was assigned to a new younger Psychiatrist and continued my challenge of the diagnoses so much so in 2003 I was sent for a PET brain scan which showed I had sever damage to the frontal temporal lobes the PET scan was repeated in 2004 and my diagnoses was now a confirmed FTD obviously I stopped doubted the diagnoses but I continued living life to full and continued working until my retirement 8 years later Ok over the 18 years with this illness I have through old age other non related illness now but still battling on So Lornahmcc don’t beat yourself worry about dementia you can live with when you’re a younger person

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
I agree with others, go back to the GP? Your symptoms don't have to be dementia although of course we all understand that concern, but they could be so many things and indeed the menopause years are one of them. however you do need to go back, as the GP won't be aware you are still experiencing problems, the onus is on you to report this. Good luck.

Blue Flower

Jan 7, 2018
I'm nearly 52 and for about the last 6 months I've been concerned that I may have early onset dementia.

What makes me think this is: (1) I don't like working on problem-solving activities any more (I used to love these) eg. structuring, writing and delivering a public talk, writing a report (2) I deliberately devote too much of my time on simple (albeit necessary tasks) eg. arranging meetings (3) I'll talk myself out of doing anything that seems too hard eg. working out what healthy foods to buy for dinner (4) I'm happy to go along with whatever my husband tells me as I find it easier to go with the flow than think and articulate why this might/might not suit me (5) A lot of my day to day activities are taking me longer to finish eg. getting prepared for work the following day

I did take a test at the doctors over 6 months ago (what's the name of the prime minister etc) and the results showed there was nothing wrong with me.

What I've got in my head is there may be other symptoms dementia sufferers can display first that other people wouldn't necessarily notice.

For info, my dad has dementia and I'm also going through the menopause.

Any help, guidance would be very much appreciated
Oh...it's said to read your lines... Just some advice... What about to learn a foreign language or to learn to play an instrument? I don't know whether you like to listen to TED-talks? TED-talks are very interesting and useful, I reckon. And what is very important to prevent or almost to delay the onset of dementia is the sufficient sleep (at least 8 or more hours each night). All the best! :)