Divorce, an answer?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I worked for the South of Scotland Electricity Board when I left school. Thursday was the day for making up wages and staff from several offices were involved. A huge table was piled up with cash of various denominations and boxes of envelopes with names and departments.

We spent all day filling the envelopes with notes and cash appropriate to our employees details and if even half a crown was over or short at the end we had to go through every envelope again to straighten it out. Talk about labour intensive!

I now do all banking online and when I give my grandchildren some pocket money I drop it straight in their accounts - no cash! Great.

Hmmm. I reserve judgement about online banking! We also had to stay late if money didn't balance. The cry of victory from my supervisor if she managed it first time was the most important part of the day. I believe they no longer 'bother' doing a trial balance every day... tut.

But it's very hard to teach youngsters the value of money these days because they get given fivers here, there and everywhere, gifts throughout the year (not just birthday and Christmas!) and never have that important lesson - and subsequent pride/pleasure/satisfaction - of spending ages saving up for something. When my son was young and I refused him something, he told me to get some money from Tesco. I didn't understand till he explained - he'd been with me buying groceries and getting cash back at the till and had thought if you wanted money you went to Tesco and they gave you some. o_O

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Banks in Canada were only open certain hours, and they certainly weren't for the convenience of the customers. Nowadays I only seem to go into a bank when I need a cheque book, or am cashing in coins. Yes, I save my coins and every so often cash in several hundreds.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hmmm. I reserve judgement about online banking! We also had to stay late if money didn't balance. The cry of victory from my supervisor if she managed it first time was the most important part of the day. I believe they no longer 'bother' doing a trial balance every day... tut.

But it's very hard to teach youngsters the value of money these days because they get given fivers here, there and everywhere, gifts throughout the year (not just birthday and Christmas!) and never have that important lesson - and subsequent pride/pleasure/satisfaction - of spending ages saving up for something. When my son was young and I refused him something, he told me to get some money from Tesco. I didn't understand till he explained - he'd been with me buying groceries and getting cash back at the till and had thought if you wanted money you went to Tesco and they gave you some. o_O
Three of my grandchildren live in London and so it is perfect to be able to talk on the phone and say that I am popping £20 or so in their account. They are all savers and so they take it out if there is something they want to buy or with the boys they let it build up so they can afford football boots.

My granddaughter earns peanuts working in a gym while she is still at school so I can increase her savings the same way and I feel it makes her job less onerous if I am giving her a boost.

Just remembered that youngest grandson aged 11 said he’s using his latest£20 for a new cap as the red one he has at the moment looks too much like a Donald Trump MAGA cap!

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Three of my grandchildren live in London and so it is perfect to be able to talk on the phone and say that I am popping £20 or so in their account. They are all savers and so they take it out if there is something they want to buy or with the boys they let it build up so they can afford football boots.

My granddaughter earns peanuts working in a gym while she is still at school so I can increase her savings the same way and I feel it makes her job less onerous if I am giving her a boost.

Just remembered that youngest grandson aged 11 said he’s using his latest£20 for a new cap as the red one he has at the moment looks too much like a Donald Trump MAGA cap!

I think that’s £20 well spent :D