Dissociative neurological condition (non epileptic attacks) and dementia

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Bit of a long shot this on this question but I am looking for any guidance or experience that is available in connection with Dissociative neurological condition (non epileptic attacks) and dementia.

So mum has vascular dementia. She has been diagnosed as having non epileptic attacks (hence the recent hospitalisation). Am in the process of reading up about it at the moment and as ever looking for support for and information/suggestions/experience of the condition and dementia.

These non epileptic attacks present with similar traits of an epileptic seizure but are not classed as such as they do not start in the brain. A quick comparison of the epileptic and non epileptic attacks is below..

Symptom

Epilepsy NEAs
Duration
0.5 to 2 minutes. Often longer than 2 minutes

Pelvic thrusting
rare. Occasional

Eyes / mouth
Typically open. Often closed

Side-to-side head movement
Rare. More common

Tongue biting
Occasional Occasional

Crying during the attack
Rare More common

Talking during the attack
Rare. More common

Potential treatment/recommendations is distracting oneself, reminding your self what day it is, focusing on tasks, grounding yourself etc. there are talking therapies as solutions too. Can be hard to do when you can't remember as you have dementia and are struggling to do tasks, occupy yourself, motivate yourself etc.

Has anyone any experience of this problem and if so how as a carer or sufferer did you manage.

Thank you

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Tears Falling
I have never heard of this.
I am wondering if these people can help
https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/
I know they are Epilepsy action, they may well know about it and be able to point you in the right direction to get more info and perhaps help

Last edited:

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
hi Tears Falling

I am so sorry to hear of this multiple condition - hubby had dementia but not epilepsy. I have on occasion had epilepsy and grown out of it through life but on occasions it has returned. Is your partner on epileptic medication to g sodium valproate. Just a thought.

Do hope things can improve for you soon.

Best wishes Maureen

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Epilepsy is controlled by pills, this new condition can't be controlled in this way.... Lots to learn and try and understand, coupled with the dementia......

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Soooo mum is currently being monitored over a 4 day period to try and maybe get an understanding of what is going on. Her head is wired to some equipment to record brain activity and is also being videod. Not entirely sure what is expected in terms of results, just hopeful it will provide some useful information. Hospital is London so long day trips for my dad to visit.

Will update with info when known.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
TearsFalling I had between 1995 & 2006, several episodes which they said were Pseudoseizures ( non epileptical) and was hospitalised several times.
Symptoms were head jerking, eye rolling, slurred speech, head ache, confusion.
It could be one single episode lasting 10 mns, to several episodes over many hours.
Doctors and hospital, would often pass it off as a "possible" TIA.
It took until 2006, a consult with Neurologist, an MRI scan to be diagnsoed with Hyperventilation Syndrome triggered by emotional/mental stress, causing the pseudoseizures.
I was given techniques to try and use when ever I first felt symptoms.

The last time in 2006 was after my husband had completed 7 months of chemotherapy for a brain tumour. I think getting that actual diagnosis, and knowing my trigger points was enough for me not to have similar episodes since.

In someone with dementia, I wonder too if its possible to have a similar cause...emotional/ mental stress.
Hoping they get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Ahhh thanks for your post. Mum had one yesterday as Dad was leaving to come back home. She of course was staying in the hospital. I understand that there are techniques but mum can't spot the triggers. Dad is trying but is often missing them and only realising after the event. They are happening every couple of days and can last hours. Not sure there is anything I can do to help though as I am at the other end of the country....I keep on trying.

Pathetic do seem to be stress related. Mum gets very anxious about not being with dad....

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
a friend of mine had hyperventilation seizures they were frightening

breathing into a brown paper bag was the solution it corrected the acids in the body that caused this. Went to visit my friends grandaughter (early 20's) who was terrified of losing her job because of the same symptoms told her about the paper bag and she hasn't had a problem since if she felt a trigger she would pop out to the loo and breathe into a paper bag and be able to go back to her desk

I realise it's probably not the same thing but thought I would share it with you anyway

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I'm only a novice when it comes to caring for Mum with AD, but if it was anxiety that was triggering it, could anti anxiety meds help?
Mum has a condition where her GP and nurse tried to teach her self help techniques... As if she would remember how to do them :rolleyes: so hard isn't it.

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
It's proper insane.......I just called to see how they are and mum is having a full on episode right now. They were at a funeral and missed most of it as they had to go outside. They have just got home and dad had to use the wheel chair to get her inside. She is currently downstairs and making noise about pain. Can't undestand her, she wants to go upstairs but can't get up there. Thank god there is a commode downstairs now.

I am actually scared for my dad's sanity.......how on earth are they meant to live like this. :-(. He hasn't done anything for nearly a week except run after mum. It's not okay and they seem so stuck.