Different changes in behaviour

AutumnRigby

Jun 10, 2023
Hi All, Hope you are well.
My PWD has been with staying with my sister.for a.week over Christmas and usually when she returns she is on really.good form for a few days. This time seems to be different, she has been clearly more "wobbly" in her physical ability, sitting on the sofa clearly moving her feet, her glass is shaking in her hand and she is rubbing the fabric.of her trousers with her hand. I believe this is a normal trait ( please tell.me if it is.not) but one I've not seen so far, this is the first time I've looked at my mum and just felt so sad at.the obvious impact this is having on her. I only thank goodness she is not aware.
I'm not sure what I want to hear, if anything, this is just an outlet of pure sadness. Thank you for listening
Take care x

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Hi

Sending a hug ❤️ Dad picks his thumbs when he is anxious so I guess rubbing the fabric of trousers is a similar thing. Maybe the change has unsettled your mum this time. I find dementia catches you out, when you think you get it totally it throws something else at you .

I have no great words of wisdom it is such a cruel and unforgiving illness not just on the person but for those watching helplessly in the forefront. I understand your sadness 💕

dianafox

Dec 27, 2023
chinnurology.com
I'm truly sorry to hear about the challenges your mum is facing. It's entirely understandable that you would feel a mix of emotions, including sadness, during such moments. It's not uncommon for individuals with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP) to experience changes in their physical abilities and exhibit various motor symptoms, which can be distressing for both the individual and their loved ones.

Your feelings are valid, and it's important to acknowledge and express them. Being a caregiver can be emotionally taxing, and it's okay to seek support for yourself as well. If you haven't already, consider connecting with support groups or organizations that specialize in PSP. Sharing experiences with others who understand the challenges can provide valuable insights and emotional support.

Remember to communicate openly with your mum's healthcare team about any changes in her condition. They can offer guidance and may adjust the care plan to address specific symptoms or challenges.

Take care of yourself, and feel free to reach out if you need someone to talk to.

theunknown777

Feb 25, 2022
I've noticed my Mum rubs her legs/trousers sometimes and it can be simply because she is a bit cold. So maybe another layer (a throw) may help. It's worth a try :)

AutumnRigby

Jun 10, 2023
I've noticed my Mum rubs her legs/trousers sometimes and it can be simply because she is a bit cold. So maybe another layer (a throw) may help. It's worth a try :)
Thanks for this the unknown777, Mum never gives information on how she is feeling, even if you ask her. I'll put a blanket.on her chair so she has the option.

theunknown777

Feb 25, 2022
Thanks for this the unknown777, Mum never gives information on how she is feeling, even if you ask her. I'll put a blanket.on her chair so she has the option.
No problem at all. You know how your Mum works but if may be worth putting it on her legs when she does it and then if she doesn't want it I'm sure she'll take it off 👍

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annieislaurie