Diamonds*

Diamond*

Nov 22, 2017
Hi

I would appreciate some help with the following please as I have just been told of this:. My mother has dementia and is a sole proprietor of her home. Mum is not entitled to Attendance Allowance. Carers allowance we have been refused also. Does my mother still have to pay Council tax being a sole proprietor? Mum at present gets a discount.

Kind regards and await your reply.

Thank you.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Why has she been refused AA? Is she still in the early stages? I'm afraid both CA and the council tax SMI disregard depend on her having been granted AA or equivalent. My OH was refused at the first attempt but we appealed with more evidence and got it.

Last edited:

Diamond*

Nov 22, 2017
Why has she been refused AA? Is she still in the early stages? I'm afraid Both CA and the council tax SMI disregard depend on her having been granted AA or equivalent. My OH was refused at the first attempt but we appealed with more evidence and got it.

Hi

Thank you and will do.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Hi

I would appreciate some help with the following please as I have just been told of this:. My mother has dementia and is a sole proprietor of her home. Mum is not entitled to Attendance Allowance. Carers allowance we have been refused also. Does my mother still have to pay Council tax being a sole proprietor? Mum at present gets a discount.

Kind regards and await your reply.

Thank you.
If your mother needs care she is entitled to either the lower rate or higher rate of AA and if you are caring for her for at least 35 hours a week you should get CA.
Also, and this is important to have, your mother should have a diagnosis of her illness and then she will receive a reduction in council tax payments.
She could also get a blue badge.
I hope that helps x
Oh, and does she get the winter fuel payment?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Diamond*
welcome to TP
qualifying for Attendance Allowance depends on the level of the care needs of the person; it may be that your mother's care needs don't currently meet all the criteria, which are pretty stringent - AA isn't given simply on diagnosis of dementia - it may be worth you taking the form to your local AgeUK branch as the folk there are very helpful with the completion of these forms and may be able to spot whether you have missed some evidence or might word some points in the ways the assessment will take more notice of - you certainly can appeal and also reapply in the future, one setback doesn't mean that you can't keep applying - maybe keep a diary of how things are for your mother so that you record the evidence that will need to be mentioned on the form
Local Authorities do require that a person has a qualifying benefit eg AA as well as severe mental impairment before granting a complete disregard of Council Tax - and a carer isn't eligible for Carer's Allowance unless the person they are caring for receives a qualifying benefit and the carer is pretty much hands on caring for at least 35 hours each week
there are also stringent rules about how someone qualifies for a blue badge; again a diagnosis of dementia isn't in itself a qualification
I assume that at the moment your mother's CT is assessed at the single person's rate
PS just wondering how old your mother is, as that affects eligibility for AA - though there may then be other benefits your mum qualifies for