Diagnosed with Alzheimer's today

Chris Staffs

Apr 16, 2024
Hi Im Chris from Staffordshire, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers today. It has been a year since my first contact with my doctor so it has been a long wait to find out what was wrong with me. Despite knowing that my memory and ability to do things has got worse i had convinced myself that at 69 it was all just due to age. I went this morning honestly expecting to be told that nothing was wrong it was all just due to my age.

When the doctor told me I was just stunned, but during the 45min appointment everything he said made sense. It will take some time to process this news and really know how I feel but my initial concerns are losing the ability to do things but more losing my independence. The thought of having to rely on other people is terrifying I am very independent and I have always been supportive not supported.

I start my medication tonight, I hope it helps. But there seems so much to do, inform DVLA and my employer and plan what I should do.

A real life changing day.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi Im Chris from Staffordshire, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers today. It has been a year since my first contact with my doctor so it has been a long wait to find out what was wrong with me. Despite knowing that my memory and ability to do things has got worse i had convinced myself that at 69 it was all just due to age. I went this morning honestly expecting to be told that nothing was wrong it was all just due to my age.

When the doctor told me I was just stunned, but during the 45min appointment everything he said made sense. It will take some time to process this news and really know how I feel but my initial concerns are losing the ability to do things but more losing my independence. The thought of having to rely on other people is terrifying I am very independent and I have always been supportive not supported.

I start my medication tonight, I hope it helps. But there seems so much to do, inform DVLA and my employer and plan what I should do.

A real life changing day.
please inform insurance company as well. might be worth writing a list of things you need to do but maybe not tonight, give yourself time and space to breathe. must be frightening.

Angelsoul

May 22, 2023
Hi Chris,
I can only imagine how you must have felt today. I applaud you for sharing this with the forum. We are here to listen and support you whenever you want to post.
xxxx

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
I am sorry this has happened to you. Give yourself a week or two to give yourself time to breath. Then you might want call the Alzheimer’s help line. There are legal and financial things you need to do and the Alzheimer’s help line can help you make a list of things that need to be done.

If there is anything you’ve ever dreamed of doing such as a trip somewhere or visiting family or friends now is the time to do it.

This site is a wonderful resource whenever you need advice.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Don't panic, just take it one day at a time.
Plan for the future as but remember a diagnosis is not a definition of a lack of capacity and think through what you might want to happen to you, in the future.
Failing to plan is planning to fail as they say, but as you're able to find us all on here and post then it can't be all that bad, that and hello and welcome. K

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Chris Staffs and welcome to Dementia Support Forum.
As others have said give yourself a day or two for things to sink in. When you feel ready the link below might help you navigate what to do next.
This is a very friendly and supportive forum, so I'm glad you've found us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amanda2847