Donepezil

Zygoma

Jan 1, 2022
Time has passed by since my last post here. One week ago I was taken off Galantamine 16mg capsules following some very unpleasant side effects, severe bowel incontinence , dizzy spells and atrial fibrillation with angina. I have been advised the consultant want’s to try me on Donezepil?
Does anyone have any experience of this drug…….please advice and take care

Not sure if I have posted this in the right forum?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My LO has been on it since diagnosis at 10mg and right from the start it was great for us as it seemed to calm and reduce her mood swings. In a well meant way I recall thinking that it was like a mild Valium effect.

Shazza68

Jul 20, 2021
My Partner was put on 10mg Donepezil straight after diagnosis a year ago. It reduced the nightmares and confusion. He had adjusted to it well with no side effects. It really made a difference to us.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Time has passed by since my last post here. One week ago I was taken off Galantamine 16mg capsules following some very unpleasant side effects, severe bowel incontinence , dizzy spells and atrial fibrillation with angina. I have been advised the consultant want’s to try me on Donezepil?

Dear Zygoma,

Make sure that you take donepezil at bedtime as it is supposed to help you sleep and it less likely to clash with other medicine. Dad complained of dizziness at first but he was also on diabetic and blood pressure medication and taking at the wrong time of day!

MaNaAk

Zygoma

Jan 1, 2022
Greetings MaNaAk…….thanks for your reply…..
I have too, since been experiencing severe dizziness in the morning on getting up,
since taking Donezepil and have had some bad falls with atrial fibrillation. I think the problem is the
other medication I am taking for heart failure, diabetes, lung disease and a prostate problem.
Again I have been of Alzheimer’s medication and possibly try one more !
To be honest, my quality of life was better before I started taking medicatio.

Zygoma

Jan 1, 2022
Since my last post, have been taken off Donezepil, and awaiting for a hospital
appointment with a Pharmacist Consultant. Will report back after the appointment.

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
I was on Donapezil and it caused bad nightmares…so tried Rivastigmine which gave me back ache, so will now try gelantamine. Sadly it seems that the neuro transmitter enhancers can have side effects - but we are all different

Zygoma

Jan 1, 2022
At long last after requests….I am getting a proper review of my prescription medication
plus my surgical medical history. Before I am prescribed any further Alzheimer’s Dementia medication. Both previous Dementia medication prescriptions, I noticed positive benefits
but alas my physical side caused me problem. Will report back on the coming meeting.

Zygoma

Jan 1, 2022
Having no word about my Alzheimer’s Dementia prescription medication review.
This morning I decided to telephone the local Dementia Team….seeking a progress
report. I was informed the consultant has been on leave all this time. So must phone again
next week. I am not very impressed!!!!

Lilyanna

Nov 8, 2021

My Partner started Donepezil just over four weeks ago and pleased to say he has not experienced any side effects. I have found it hard to gauge whether there is any improvement. There have been positive comments from social interaction with others that he knows that he seemed more focused. He did remember to take lunchtime tablets himself a few days this week and also decided to have a shower without me reminding him so taking that as a positive.

Tonyjoe

May 31, 2022
my wife was put on 5mg of Donepazil about a year ago, which was increased to 10mg after a month. On 10mg she had headaches, nausea, upset tummy, so the meds were reduced back to 5mg.
I'm not not sure if Donepazil helps?
Recently she was admitted to hospital after a fall at home. She picked up hospital acquired delirium while in there, and her mind seemed to fracture badly.
Since being discharged she's slowly recovering, and has been prescribed memantine mylan, and mirtazipine for her depression and mood swings, but so far there's little change, in fact, things still seem worse than before her admittance.
Good luck with the donapezil, and talk with your pharmacist if you need advice, ours is always helpful.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
I was pushing Welsh NHS for a year after my first plaques were seen for medication as I had read that the sooner medication started the more effective it was, after 12 months Welsh NHS agreed I had mixed dementia (mainly Alzheimer's) and put me on 5mg Donepezil (to see how I reacted), I do not know what physiological effect it had but I started remembering my dreams for the first time in 65 years (which I found a very pleasant experience, bringing to mind many old acquaintances and places). Moving on to 10mg was delayed by staff sickness, holidays and postal delays [GP's locally apparently refuse to prescribe it (reason unknown) so it has to be done by the memory clinic in another town]. I've been on 10mg for 5 weeks now with no adverse effects, and still remembering pleasant dreams 2 or 3 times a week. I stopped drinking alcohol completely (I had reduced it any way to very little) as advised in the information leaflet, and have not found myself any more irritable or depressed. I am looking forward to the 'loss of weight' side effect kicking in!